da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 48
Team: Cheering Squad

Why don't my wheels screech?

Postby da silva surfer » 14 Nov 2014, 09:39

Help :?

I just want to be one of the gang and have screechy wheels like all the cool kids, but my wheels rarely make noise. I have tried all sorts of wheel hardnesses and different floors while doing plows and powerslides but no joy. Could it be my skating style or my plate setup? Could it be I just haven't found the right set of wheels? I thought had had found some that screeched finally but then I took them to drop in last night and they went silent...any advice?

x

Silva

Tilly Latimer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 12
Team: BRD A Team

Re: Why don't my wheels screech?

Postby Tilly Latimer » 14 Nov 2014, 09:45

It took ages before I got screech. It's to do with how and when you apply the pressure to the wheel I think. As my edging got better and I got better at increasing the pressure in a non-linear way (ie more pressure towards the end of the stop), I got noise!

But I don't think it's a huge deal. If you can plow and stop rapidly the lack of screech is good as you can be a stealth blocker and surprise everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Velizeraptor
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 74
Team: ADHD

Postby Velizeraptor » 14 Nov 2014, 10:07

Yeah, I'm with Tilly - your stops are great anyway and for me screeching is annoying :).

I don't always increase pressure the way Tilly describes but I do have noisy wheels. Haven't used many types of wheels. I didn't screech with my starter set up but screech a lot since I switched to Rollerbones DOTD and 45 degree plate. You're welcome to try the wheels if you want :)

Xx

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Postby the Blizzard » 14 Nov 2014, 10:07

It's the technique, not the wheels, although they help. Maybe your stops are so efficient that there's no traction. Have you tried going really fast? Because that's how I get the screech on difficult/sticky floors. And a lot of aggression. Attack the floor and make it cry.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja

Postby da silva surfer » 14 Nov 2014, 10:08

TilThrillster wrote:But I don't think it's a huge deal.

It is! :D Screeching is cool haha ;)

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja

Postby da silva surfer » 14 Nov 2014, 11:13

the Blizzard wrote:It's the technique, not the wheels, although they help.

Yes this is what I am gathering...

the Blizzard wrote:Maybe your stops are so efficient that there's no traction.

I wish this was true :) I normally get traction just not the satisfying noise that comes with it...However yesterday the floor at dropin is so nice and slick that I could manage powerslides but with no noise, my traction was very low there I mainly was just sliding which makes me think I am not digging in hard enough...

the Blizzard wrote:Have you tried going really fast? Because that's how I get the screech on difficult/sticky floors. And a lot of aggression.

I have tried alot of these things but will try harder...however I see others not going that fast and getting the feedback I don't...it hast to be my technique..

the Blizzard wrote:Attack the floor and make it cry.

I will try! :)

Tilly Latimer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Tilly Latimer » 14 Nov 2014, 11:15

It is about pressure on the floor. It's learning where the line is between getting some slide and the wheel coming to a dead stop. You want to be putting as much pressure as you can on the wheel without it totally stopping.

I fell on my face a lot figuring it out because you put too much on and stop dead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Thorn
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 999
Team: BRD A & DOA

Postby Black Thorn » 14 Nov 2014, 11:27

The thing about the pressure on the floor is interesting, as I am pretty sure lack of pressure is why I struggle with left sided hockey stops. I have to really fight to keep my foot on the floor as my brain is screaming for me to lift it.

I wonder if your set up is effecting the pressure you can exert. Am I noisy becasue I have my trucks loose and cushions soft so can make good wheel to floor contact regardless of the angle of my foot/ankle? I can really bend my boot away from my plate/trucks so keep my wheels planted.

Tilly Latimer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Tilly Latimer » 14 Nov 2014, 11:54

Oh that's true! It got way easier for me when I altered my trucks!

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja

Postby da silva surfer » 14 Nov 2014, 11:57

Black Thorn wrote:I wonder if your set up is effecting the pressure you can exert. Am I noisy becasue I have my trucks loose and cushions soft so can make good wheel to floor contact regardless of the angle of my foot/ankle? I can really bend my boot away from my plate/trucks so keep my wheels planted.

Yes so am I...I have the same soft cushions although my trucks could probably be looser, just found with softer cushions I didn't have to have them so loose as they had a lot of wiggle already...but will try that.

HTM Hell
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 500

Postby HTM Hell » 14 Nov 2014, 20:00

Yup I have really loose trucks so mostly I have all 4 wheels planted even at extremes
Sent from my RM-941_eu_euro1_262 using Tapatalk

HTM Hell
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 500

Postby HTM Hell » 14 Nov 2014, 20:04

If you're around on Sunday I'll happily help you find the screech!
Sent from my RM-941_eu_euro1_262 using Tapatalk

Raven Lunatic
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 85
Team: A Team

Postby Raven Lunatic » 14 Nov 2014, 20:19

When I changed to my new plates and had loose trucks my wheels were screaming like a banshee. When I tightened everything up I lost my screech

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja

Postby da silva surfer » 14 Nov 2014, 21:03

Yes I remember raven! Well that's settled then will be messing around with my plates this weekend ;)

Return to “Wheels”