Skate Geeks Assemble!!

Everything you need to know about skates and their components.
Forum rules
BRD Public Forum
Everything you need to know about skates and their components.
Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 183
Team: Team Zebra and Vice Quad

Skate Geeks Assemble!!

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 14 Mar 2013, 12:59

I'm in the highly unusual position of having C.£600 to spend on a new pair of skates! Woot!

But, I'm having a crisis - what do I buy? :?

I want something that is going to last me a while (I can't be spending this sort of cash every year or two. Or even three!) so it might have to be something that's proven to last.

I'm avoiding the Antiks because of the higher boot, which some say restricts movement (although Terror seems to be jamming fine in them) and there have been some negative comments about the Revenge plate, that it's prone to flexing and breaking despite being aluminium.

I'm also avoiding anything with the Avenger plate as it hasn't been around long so no one's sure about their longevity. Also, a hollow plate with fixed, hollow kingpins concerns me considering my substantial weight. A bent or snapped kingpin = forking out for new skates!

I've been eyeing the Riedell 195 Grand Prix skates for ages, but on contacting Everglides, it turns out Riedell aren't making the package anymore. I can get the boot and plate separately, but I've never mounted boots before and don't fancy starting on something this expensive. Paying for someone to mount them then adds to the overall cost.

Some online shops in the states are still selling the Grand Prix complete skates, but if I get the size wrong, I'm shafted! I've measured my foot and the person I've been emailing at Everglides has told me what size boot I am, but you never know how these things will fit until you try them on!

The Riedell Storm skates are a possibility, as the boot (811) is very similar to the 195 and they've had good reviews on lowpriceskates.com, but the lace cover is attached to the skate. This would mean having to put gaffer tape on the front to prevent damage from scuffs, which will make the boots look naff before I've had chance to start using them. Then the tape causes damage when I have to take it off to replace it.

Or, I buy something like the Riedell Wickeds and trick them out with mac daddy wheels and bearings. But I'm not convinced that would be the way to go if I'm wanting to spend the money on higher-end kit. Plus the boot has a heel, which I'm trying to avoid and is higher up the ankle than I would like.

What do I do? What should I buy? Suggestions welcome!

Help me BRD skate geeks, you're my only hope!

chaos theory
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 29

Re: Skate Geeks Assemble!!

Postby chaos theory » 14 Mar 2013, 13:01

What about Bonts? They're sexy!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 14 Mar 2013, 13:03

chaos theory wrote:What about Bonts? They're sexy!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

But then it's the question of what plate to put them on? And I'll have to find someone to mount them, which is more money. It's never-ending I tell you!

Black Thorn
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 999
Team: BRD A & DOA

Postby Black Thorn » 14 Mar 2013, 13:14

Mr Incredibrawl wrote:I can get the boot and plate separately, but I've never mounted boots before and don't fancy starting on something this expensive. Paying for someone to mount them then adds to the overall cost.

If you order the skate and plate through everglides they will mount it for free (or at least they did for me).

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 301 (was g33k)
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Chick Dastardly » 14 Mar 2013, 13:15

I would definitely suggest a day trip to a skate shop to try different boots and find the one that you find most comfortable. There's just no way of telling until you try them yourself. I had thought I would like Antiks, but I found them just not comfortable despite trying different sizes, so started going through other boots and found the 495s the most super comfy boot in the world! (for me). BUT even then I found that the best fit was a size that I really wouldn't have guess (and therefore bought online).

There is a new skate shop opening in central London by two of the LRG girls on April 1st. Maybe a day trip to the Big Smoke to try out some different boots (perhaps get in touch first to check they will have a few different skates your size before making the journey?)

Tilly Latimer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 12
Team: BRD A Team

Postby Tilly Latimer » 14 Mar 2013, 13:22

I have a burning desire to open a skate shop with a demo facility - like you can borrow mountain bikes and try them out for the day. Of course, I don't have the money to do it, but should anyone win the lottery, then we should totally do it!

HMS Wreck'er
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 512
Team: Fresh Meat, Harbour Harlot Bees, ADHD

Postby HMS Wreck'er » 14 Mar 2013, 13:57

I am totally in love with the Riedell 195 Grand Prix skates and if you got a pair, I might follow you around forlornly like a lost puppy.

Black Thorn
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 999
Team: BRD A & DOA

Postby Black Thorn » 14 Mar 2013, 14:13

Mr Incredibrawl wrote:I'm also avoiding anything with the Avenger plate as it hasn't been around long so no one's sure about their longevity

They are based on the invader plate that has been around since the 70's though. With your healthy budget have you looked at Snyder plates? I did quite a lot of research before I got my avengers and the Royals were top of my list - out of my price range though!

If you are getting new wheels definitely rollerbone turbos in 101a!

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 48
Team: Cheering Squad

Postby da silva surfer » 14 Mar 2013, 14:18

Red Croc Leather Skates! That is all x

Kamo
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 7
Team: BRD Men, BRD A, DOA

Postby Kamo » 14 Mar 2013, 14:36

Mr Incredibrawl wrote:I can get the boot and plate separately, but I've never mounted boots before and don't fancy starting on something this expensive. Paying for someone to mount them then adds to the overall cost.

If you have to pay a slight premium (mounting costs, if any) to get exactly what you want isn't it worth it in the long run?
With off the shelf skates are you paying for components you're likely to change to suit your style? (I'm thinking the packed cushions, wheels, bearing and stuff)

I may be talking garbage though :lol: my only experience is with my GT-50s which obviously have cheap components to hit the price point

Tilly Latimer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 12
Team: BRD A Team

Postby Tilly Latimer » 14 Mar 2013, 15:11

Also, and I don't know when it is going to be released, but bont are doing a new plate, called the infinity, it's carbon fibre (which appeals to me):

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 753&type=1

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Postby the Blizzard » 14 Mar 2013, 15:14

You can get your dream skates so get the combo you want. I haven't heard shops charging for mounting if you order the parts through them.

If I could invest in my gear, I would invest in the boot and get a full custom Bont that would be fully moulded to my feet. I can change the plate, cushions, toe stops, wheels... but having a boot that fits like a glove, nothing can beat that! I'd still buy Avenger plates because they seem sturdy through engineering and through our sponsor skateshop you can get them dead cheap.

Hint - read into cushions/truck adjustment (threads on this forum) because that can make a big difference :)

MatLOVIN
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 1337
Team: Vice Quad / ADHD

Postby MatLOVIN » 14 Mar 2013, 15:39

I think if your gonna spend a lot of money on skates, it's worth getting them specifically for your feet. I mean why should you settle for an approximate fit, if it aint perfect you're gonna be pretty bummed that you spent so much. So either a heat mouldable boot or one of the fully customs :)

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 14 Mar 2013, 18:33

Thanks guys! Lots of suggestions, some of which have made me even more confused!

Trying to get heat-mouldable boots sounds like a lot of work and I'm sooo lazy!

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 14 Mar 2013, 21:50

I'm also worried about having to do stuff to the skates before I wear them, whether it be mounting the bouts or heat-moulding them. I know I'll cock it up!

When I had to swap my skate boots over on my current plates (the holes were already drilled in the new boots so I didn't have to worry about that), I broke a skate tool taking the kingpins out which then caused me to take some skin off my thumb. Then, when putting the kingpins back in, I managed to cross-thread one of them and couldn't get it back out again.

Frankly, the less I have to do with my next pair of skates, besides skating in them, the better!

Return to “Skates & Plates”