Skate Geeks Assemble!!

Everything you need to know about skates and their components.
Forum rules
BRD Public Forum
Everything you need to know about skates and their components.
Tilly Latimer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 12
Team: BRD A Team

Re: Skate Geeks Assemble!!

Postby Tilly Latimer » 14 Mar 2013, 22:02

I think you'd cope with heat moulding them! You can do it with a hairdrier if you don't want to take the plates off and put them in the oven......I am sure one of us could lend you a hairdrier.

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 183
Team: Team Zebra and Vice Quad

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 14 Mar 2013, 22:24

the Blizzard wrote:You can get your dream skates so get the combo you want. I haven't heard shops charging for mounting if you order the parts through them.

If I could invest in my gear, I would invest in the boot and get a full custom Bont that would be fully moulded to my feet. I can change the plate, cushions, toe stops, wheels... but having a boot that fits like a glove, nothing can beat that! I'd still buy Avenger plates because they seem sturdy through engineering and through our sponsor skateshop you can get them dead cheap.

Hint - read into cushions/truck adjustment (threads on this forum) because that can make a big difference :)

I totally understand what you mean about well-fitting boots and having skates that are WAY too big for me at the moment, I can say without fear of contradiction that I really want this. But I don't understand how it would work, especially as there's a good chance my boots would have to be ordered online. How do I make sure I get the right size without ordering what I think is the right size, trying them on and finding out they're wrong, sending them back, having to pay more postage and restocking fees, trying to get another size sent out, waiting ages and then when I eventually get the right boot, finding someone to mount boots that have been heat-moulded, meaning more money?

I'd be tempted to take a trip to a skate shop to try stuff on first, but it's a similar thing again. Like with Everglides, there's the distinct possibility that I may have to special order the boots because it seems skate shops don't hold larger sizes, pay a non-refundable deposit, go and try them on, find out they don't fit, lose some of my deposit because of restocking fees, having to order some more boots, going home, waiting ages, going back to the shop, trying them on again, etc., etc.

How did other people order theirs (Blizz/Matt)? How did you know you were getting the right size?

Sorry for the paranoid rambling, I just really, REALLY want to make sure I get the right skates!

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Postby the Blizzard » 15 Mar 2013, 09:18

No pain, no gain, darling! ;) (don't worry, it's not that painful..read on)

This is how I got my semi-custom Bonts: Told skateshop I want Bonts. They explained what to do - I downloaded an A4 sheet with a grid from Bont website that is for tracing your feet. I stood on it, traced my feet, wrote my name etc on it. Scanned it in and sent it to skateshop. I told them the colours I wanted and any extras such as snug tie. Then I made my final decision what plates I wanted and what mount. Told skate shop my decision. Then I waited for my complete skates to arrive. Based on my feet tracings, I got wide last with one boot size 4 and the other size 5.

As for the heat moulding, I haven't done mine as they fit great anyway. The heat moulding can be done over and over again. You can mould them to make adjustments on hot spots or make them cup your feet better.

MatLOVIN
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 1337
Team: Vice Quad / ADHD

Postby MatLOVIN » 15 Mar 2013, 10:50

I purchased boot and plate separately, heat moulded the boot (super easy to do), and got them mounted in bridge end. I was happy to pay to get them mounted as it's a reasonably small cost for how important it actually is. For the sizing of the shoe you can download a pdf which shows you how to measure your feet and then tells you which size to get (bont specific).

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 15 Mar 2013, 12:49

Thanks guys, very helpful. :mrgreen:

What skate shops did you go too?

MatLOVIN
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 1337
Team: Vice Quad / ADHD

Postby MatLOVIN » 15 Mar 2013, 13:01

Bridgeend Cycle Centre, Natalie is really helpful, and has come to some of our Sunday scrimmages I think (but I've never bumped into her yet)

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Postby the Blizzard » 15 Mar 2013, 13:04

I used Amazing Skates

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 15 Mar 2013, 13:18

Thanks peeps!

Is Natalie 'Enemy of the Skate'? If so, yeah, she's been to Sunday practice a few times.

chaos theory
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 29

Postby chaos theory » 16 Mar 2013, 19:18

Brawli!

if you're interested in fittings and partying, why not combine the two?

http://www.facebook.com/events/143828875783858/

:-)

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 18 Mar 2013, 13:18

Thanks Chaos, I'll check that out when I'm not on a computer that doesn't allow access to Facebook (stupid work!).

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 18 Mar 2013, 22:10

Not sure about that actually. Looks like it's going to be crazy busy and invite-only.

Return to “Skates & Plates”