Roller skates vs rollerblades?

Everything you need to know about skates and their components.
Forum rules
BRD Public Forum
Everything you need to know about skates and their components.
mjeshurun
Youngling
Youngling

Roller skates vs rollerblades?

Postby mjeshurun » 02 Apr 2013, 23:13

Hi people,
I've been wanting to get back to skating after a few years of absence and I'd be grateful if anyone could comment about the pros and cons of roller skates vs rollerblades?
I'm mostly interested in skating outdoors and maybe try a few jumps at the local skate park.
I remember I loved to roller skate, but I assume rollerblades have had a lot of improvements over the years, so I'm open for that too.
Can anyone comment on roller skates plates shock absorption? This is a feature not available on rollerblades and I'm interested to hear how these rubbers affect stability and ride comfort in comparison to inline rollerblades.
And how about the boots? Are roller skates boots, such as the Antik AR1 Boots with Reactor Plates (http://goo.gl/wLzTk), fit for outdoor skating and occasional jumps? or will the leather boot not give adequate support to the ankle?

Thank you very much...
Miki

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Re: Roller skates vs rollerblades?

Postby the Blizzard » 03 Apr 2013, 10:10

Hey,
I like skating both indoors and outdoors and have skated with both quads and inlines. This is my experience:

Inlines - more comfortable for distance skating and less bumpy ride. The wheels roll over bumps easier. Quads - allow quicker sideways moves and agility. A bit uncomfortable on bumpy surfaces. Softer wheels help. Ankles - I skate with low cut boots that completely expose my ankle (as do most derby players) and happy with that. I skate with the same ones outside and skatepark. I don't think the Antiks are stiff enough to give actual support (although they'll feel sturdier) like aggressive skate boots do. With the stiff tall ankle of aggressive/inline boots you can't do the moves needed for derby skating. Shock absorption - did not notice difference, probably because inlines feel less bumpy ride anyway.

Last summer I got into skateparks and did quite a bit of research into quad vert/aggressive quad skating. If you skate in a skatepark where the surfaces are nice and smooth, I think either quad or inline will be just fine. For skating around town you may fine inlines more comfy. Both do nice jumps. You can add grind bars to quads and if you wanna go aggressive all the way, you'll need wider trucks and small wheels. I may build me a pair for this summer, although I am happy skating with my normal derby skates and wheels outdoors and skatepark too, jumps and all (see pic :).

As for outdoor skating, we skate often at Millennium square which is lovely and smooth.
Attachments
vlcsnap-2012-05-23-10h00m45s0 - SMALL.png
quad skating at Horfield skate park
vlcsnap-2012-05-23-10h00m45s0 - SMALL.png (418.45 KiB) Viewed 13147 times

MatLOVIN
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 1337
Team: Vice Quad / ADHD

Postby MatLOVIN » 03 Apr 2013, 10:50

I've found inlines to be much better for shock absorption as your dissipating the force throughout a larger area. That being said, quads should be fine doing jumps providing your using your knees enough when landing as I have heard of people cracking plates/kingpins from going to skateparks.

I'm well up for going to some skateparks again now that it's getting warmer :D

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 183
Team: Team Zebra and Vice Quad

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 03 Apr 2013, 12:53

MatLovin wrote:[...] now that it's getting warmer :D

Really?? Where??

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Postby the Blizzard » 03 Apr 2013, 13:14

We were in T-shirts yesterday!
evidence: http://youtu.be/vF1FpoOn99c

and here is some skatepark on quads inspiration: http://youtu.be/eXQMIXX1lL0

mjeshurun
Youngling
Youngling

Postby mjeshurun » 03 Apr 2013, 19:07

Thanks for the tips! I really appreciate your help.
Today I tried on a pair of Seba High Black and they felt really good on my feet. I'd like to try the Antiks I mentioned, but roller derby is not really popular in Israel so we have almost no variety in quad skates. Maybe I'll try them on my next trip to the US/UK. Whenever that will be... :)

Blizzard, cool videos!

La Bicha
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 62
Team: Smash Vandals!! The greytest team!

Postby La Bicha » 04 Apr 2013, 22:21

[quote="the Blizzard"]We were in T-shirts yesterday!
evidence: http://youtu.be/vF1FpoOn99c

/quote]
Aw but you're a northerner - it doesn't count!

Return to “Skates & Plates”