HELP ME

Everything you need to know about skates and their components.
Forum rules
BRD Public Forum
Everything you need to know about skates and their components.
Erma Gerd
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 182
Team: ADHD

HELP ME

Postby Erma Gerd » 29 Jul 2013, 22:40

I have LOTS of questions.

Firstly, since when did Antiks get so expensive?! I was sure I wanted a pair but pretty certain that 6 months ago they were about £400, now the cheapest I can find is well over £500.

Also, I like the sound of Bonts, but have not tried them. You can get them in super awesome colours and because I am vain this is all I care about. I know that some people have had problems with them, what type of foot do they suit best?
I would probably say my feet are more on the narrow side. I like the idea that they mould to your foot, a lot of the skates I've tried (Riedell 265's, new Antiks) are a bit 'baggy' on the heel. Will these be suitable?

Also, I am pretty sure I want a Roll Line plate. I'm looking at the Variant M. Delta, is this what you skate on?

What is so good about the Avenger plate?

How did you all go about mounting your plates? Did you go to Bridgend or do it yourself?

MatLOVIN
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 1337
Team: Vice Quad / ADHD

Re: HELP ME

Postby MatLOVIN » 29 Jul 2013, 23:09

Erma Gerd wrote:I have LOTS of questions.
Also, I like the sound of Bonts, but have not tried them. You can get them in super awesome colours and because I am vain this is all I care about. I know that some people have had problems with them, what type of foot do they suit best?
I would probably say my feet are more on the narrow side. I like the idea that they mould to your foot, a lot of the skates I've tried (Riedell 265's, new Antiks) are a bit 'baggy' on the heel. Will these be suitable?

I think you can order wide or normal bonts, not sure about narrow but the heat moulding should help somewhat. Both bonts and Antiks are done in half sizes and are custom orders so you can get different sizes for your left an right feet if you've got weird-ass feet or weird ass-feet. Note that both Bonts and Antiks take FOREVER to arrive.
Erma Gerd wrote:What is so good about the Avenger plate?

It's cheap (£110) from rollerboutique, 45 degree plates are popular at the moment (sure you can google for a better explanation of why than I can invent). and it's light.
Erma Gerd wrote:How did you all go about mounting your plates? Did you go to Bridgend or do it yourself?

I got Natalie from Bridgend to do it, so did Brawly I believe (if you ask nicely you can do the heat moulding there too). I think a few people in the league have mounted plates themselves all you need is confidence and a power drill ;)

E-Z Roller
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 24k
Team: Daughters of Anarchy and A-team

HELP ME

Postby E-Z Roller » 30 Jul 2013, 01:43

Bonts do skinny ankle/heel fit too I think.
yep bonts take 12 weeks!

Erma Gerd
Padawan
Padawan

Postby Erma Gerd » 30 Jul 2013, 08:08

12 weeks?! :o

MatLOVIN wrote:I got Natalie from Bridgend to do it, so did Brawly I believe (if you ask nicely you can do the heat moulding there too).

Did you buy your skates from her too? I want to order mine through Rollerbootique, will it look a bit mean if I turn up with skates I have bought elsewhere?

E-Z Roller
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

HELP ME

Postby E-Z Roller » 30 Jul 2013, 08:17

Haven't got mine yet, and she has been terrible at communicating. I had to contact bont directly to find out how much longer the order would be.
Also they don't do discount on custom skates.
I would imagine you have to pay at Bridgend so they won't care if you've bought them somewhere else.
Although we should ask at the shop in the galleries.

MatLOVIN
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 1337
Team: Vice Quad / ADHD

Postby MatLOVIN » 30 Jul 2013, 09:12

E-Z Roller wrote:Haven't got mine yet, and she has been terrible at communicating. I had to contact bont directly to find out how much longer the order would be.
Also they don't do discount on custom skates.
I would imagine you have to pay at Bridgend so they won't care if you've bought them somewhere else.
Although we should ask at the shop in the galleries.

Yeah they charge £20 for a mounting if you don't get all through them ;)
I wouldn't have thought the galleries ppl would do their own mounting, but maybe...

Kamo
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 7
Team: BRD Men, BRD A, DOA

Re: Re: HELP ME

Postby Kamo » 30 Jul 2013, 09:34

Erma Gerd wrote:12 weeks?! :o

Busy season at Bont apparently :cry:
And I think that is 12 weeks to create the boots before shipping...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Black Thorn
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 999
Team: BRD A & DOA

Postby Black Thorn » 30 Jul 2013, 09:55

You can get Riedells in different widths - my 495's are B/AA which are super narrow. You can get them in all sorts of colours too but this will probably mean they take as long as the bonts/antiks.

Delta skates on an avenger plate now, but she did have roll lines so will be able to tell you about them. All I know about them is that they have 7mm axels so you will have to get specific bearings/tools. Avengers are very light, very reactive and relativley cheap. You lose a bit of flat out speed, but gain agility and very good lateral movement. They take some getting used to and tuning, but I love mine.

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 48
Team: Cheering Squad

Postby da silva surfer » 30 Jul 2013, 10:10

I love my standard Riedell 495's setup (torch) and I skate on the revenge plate which is 15 degree and only a bit heavier than the avenger. I think roll-line is possibly 15 degrees too? Pitchit reviewed the revenge plate a while back on derby deeds and gave it a big thumbs up (rated it higher than the reactor actually in terms of what you get for your money).

If you want to get some crazy looking skates check out these Finnish ones :D
https://www.facebook.com/WikkoSkates

Don't know much about them other than Rogue Runner skates on them, so maybe drop her a line if your interested. x

Delta Strike
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 4X

Postby Delta Strike » 30 Jul 2013, 10:35

Yeah I have had the roll line mistral plate previously and it was good, the only annoying thing is roll line are 7mm axles instead of the normal 8mm. I still have the plate on my outdoor skates.

xx

Pain by Numbers
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 123
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Pain by Numbers » 30 Jul 2013, 15:30

I had similar questions over the last few weeks and finally ordered my new skates yesterday!
I went with Bonts, they have a really accurate foot measuring thingy on their website which tells you which size you need and if you need narrow, standard or wide.

http://www.bont.com/quad/items/sizes.html

I've ordered through
http://www.skatebritain.net/
He's told me they'll take approximately 6 to 8 weeks. It's free delivery and the custom colours I ordered didn't cost any extra.. not sure how, but I'm not complaining

xx

E-Z Roller
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

HELP ME

Postby E-Z Roller » 30 Jul 2013, 19:37

Pain, deffo will be 12 :-( bont told me that's the order time at the mo, a couple of days ago

Pain by Numbers
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 123
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Pain by Numbers » 30 Jul 2013, 19:45

I hope they're worth the wait! :)

Erma Gerd
Padawan
Padawan

Postby Erma Gerd » 30 Jul 2013, 23:02

Ahhhhhh thank you ALL so much for all your help! :D

Silva those boots are IMMENSE. They look pricey though! Oooh I'm picturing silver and purple and green...

I do like the idea of Bonts, anyone got a size 6 I can try? Also same for the Riedells?
Probably the best way to find out.

Return to “Skates & Plates”