Shin guards

Helmets, knee & elbow pads, mouth guards, bumsavers etc...
Forum rules
BRD Public Forum
Helmets, knee & elbow pads, mouth guards, bumsavers etc...
the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Shin guards

Postby the Blizzard » 22 Mar 2015, 10:56

My shins are a mess... Would any football shinguards work? Or are there differences? l dont know if thee are soft ones or are they all hard shell?

E-Z Roller
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 24k
Team: Daughters of Anarchy and A-team

Shin guards

Postby E-Z Roller » 22 Mar 2015, 11:02

My issue with them was that they didn't fit between my boot and knee pads, so they dug into my ankle :-/ I couldn't find any soft ones when I was looking. It was as long time ago though

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 48
Team: Cheering Squad

Re: Shin guards

Postby da silva surfer » 22 Mar 2015, 12:28

I have some small hardshell football ones your welcome to try/have I feel like robocop and they make your legs really sweaty. They do the trick though protection is great and they are cheap. Personally I think hardshell are the most suited as we are dealing mainly with wheels to shins.

They have to be small enough to fit between your leg and knee pads to not bother you though (see kid block or bonnie thunders they have quite small ones). If you have long legs this should be easy to find a suitable pair.

I have searched for derby specific ones before but not had much luck.

Kamo
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 7
Team: BRD Men, BRD A, DOA

Postby Kamo » 22 Mar 2015, 13:54

Some people wear bmx padded shin guards which go around the whole leg (think Tim has some). Main issue becomes heat though; more protection you add the more you're skating in a body suit :lol:

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja

Postby da silva surfer » 23 Mar 2015, 08:27

I've seen some US skaters use full knee and shin guards like they use in ice hockey too:

https://demonxtreme.com/section.php/122 ... all-brands

I am pretty sure roller hockey players wear them under their socks but their knee pads seem smaller than ours tend to be which must help mobility:

HTM Hell
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 500

Postby HTM Hell » 29 Mar 2015, 22:43

I've been using them for a while now any they are pretty good to have. Personally I have the football style, in a alluring jet black. The good thing is that they are fitted and come with ankle pads so that they fit snuggly without being uncomfortable. £20 at sports direct will see you right I think.

JP

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja

Postby da silva surfer » 29 Mar 2015, 23:36

HTM Hell wrote:The good thing is that they are fitted and come with ankle pads so that they fit snuggly without being uncomfortable.

I had to return a pair with ankle pads as they didn't fit in my skates so make sure to check this first. They should fit in bonts or similar I think but won't in my riedell 495's x

HMS Wreck'er
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 512
Team: Fresh Meat, Harbour Harlot Bees, ADHD

Postby HMS Wreck'er » 30 Mar 2015, 15:56

I have some bmx shinpads - from here:

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/category/ ... _Shin_Pads

I have the King Kong ones. I have the adult size as I'm long, but they also do a junior version.

They have a removable plastic protector in the front (I took it out) and they're shaped to dip down over your ankle bone. They fit fine with my 495's.

Yes they are hotter than not wearing any, but I like that they go all the way around my leg - I was finding that I was not only getting bruised shins, but bruised calves too. No more! I had Kookie kick me in the leg (on purpose) when I first had them and I couldn't feel it at all :lol:

And because they're neoprene, you can wash them too.

Return to “Protective Gear”