Forum rules
BRD Public Forum
Skating / Game & Rules / Learning to skate
van_halen
Youngling
Youngling

Park skating in Bristol

Postby van_halen » 18 Jun 2015, 09:51

Good morning! This is my first post on here after lurking for a while. I moved to Bristol with my girlfriend (now wife) last year and I would love to get back into skating. I'm planning to go out for a skate around my local area this weekend, but would love to have some people to skate with and perhaps give slalom skating a go. Does anyone on here do any park/slalom/recreational skating and wouldn't mind having a bit of a noob join them occasionally?

HardNSharpe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 161
Team: Bristol Roller Derby A Team

Re: Park skating in Bristol

Postby HardNSharpe » 18 Jun 2015, 10:34

You should keep an eye on:

Chicks in Bowls Bristol (anyone welcome, not just chicks)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicksinBowlsBristol?fref=ts
If you want to hit up some ramps, all abilities welcome. If there isn't a meet on there then just message us and ask us to make one!

On Sunday a few of us are heading to Withywood skate park (event on the Chicks in Bowls page) if you fancy joining us and meeting some skaters?

General skating around fun is the Bristol Roller Derby Free Skate group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5549369 ... 1/?fref=ts
Just post up whenever you are going skating and fancy some company or tag along when someone else is!

van_halen
Youngling
Youngling

Postby van_halen » 18 Jun 2015, 13:42

Thank you very much :-) I must put my hockey skates on tonight and see if I can still stand! I'm in the process of selling my aggressive skates, but if you do some ramp/park skating then I might hang onto them (although last time I went to the skate park I didn't get on so well!).

Just added myself to the Facebook groups and will definitely be along for a skate soon. I might purchase some of those tiny cones to try some slalom too :D

I've been watching a lot of this guys videos and it's making me want to get back out on my skates:
http://www.pintoponyproductions.com/

vile_shadow13
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 666
Team: BRD A team, DOA

Postby vile_shadow13 » 18 Jun 2015, 15:38

aaah I always wanted to do slalom but my Inlines are wheel-less atm and can't really afford yo buy new.. booo

van_halen
Youngling
Youngling

Postby van_halen » 18 Jun 2015, 15:46

vile_shadow13 wrote:aaah I always wanted to do slalom but my Inlines are wheel-less atm and can't really afford yo buy new.. booo

That's a shame :-(

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 301 (was g33k)
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Chick Dastardly » 19 Jun 2015, 08:57

I'd really like to give slalom skating a go!
However I am a right bambi on inlines so no idea how far off I am to wobbling through cones! :D

Can hardly ever find time to get out on skates but I'll keep an eye on the Chicks in Bowls page and free skate group to see if I can join in if you/anyone go out to give that a go.

I wonder whether there's a good spot somewhere near Easton/Eastville for giving it a go (ikea carpark??) cos somewhere close would make it easy for me to join in :)

There is a skatepark under the M32 but it's very small ramps (I'm too injury prone to brave the bowls myself! :D )

van_halen
Youngling
Youngling

Postby van_halen » 19 Jun 2015, 09:47

I might be getting ahead of myself, but perhaps I'll try and organise a slalom session at some point? I need to get some of those tiny cones first and scope out a park with a nice wide path. Should be fun :D

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 301 (was g33k)
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Chick Dastardly » 19 Jun 2015, 09:52

I'll subscribe to this thread to try and stay up to date then :)

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 48
Team: Cheering Squad

Postby da silva surfer » 19 Jun 2015, 10:03

We have some slalom cones at Withywood, we bought them for BRD to use when testing min skills but they never get used I don't think. If someone from the league wants to use them (but be responsible for bringing them back ;)) I don't see an issue with lending them out. We have 10...if anyone wants to use them at the free skate tonight they are in the cabinet in the cupboard (not sure exactly where now)...

van_halen
Youngling
Youngling

Postby van_halen » 19 Jun 2015, 10:08

Awesome! Let the slalom skating begin :D

van_halen
Youngling
Youngling

Postby van_halen » 28 Jul 2015, 14:57

Chick Dastardly wrote:I'd really like to give slalom skating a go!
However I am a right bambi on inlines so no idea how far off I am to wobbling through cones! :D

Can hardly ever find time to get out on skates but I'll keep an eye on the Chicks in Bowls page and free skate group to see if I can join in if you/anyone go out to give that a go.

I wonder whether there's a good spot somewhere near Easton/Eastville for giving it a go (ikea carpark??) cos somewhere close would make it easy for me to join in :)

There is a skatepark under the M32 but it's very small ramps (I'm too injury prone to brave the bowls myself! :D )

I'm going to scope out St Georges Park as a possible venue tomorrow morning. I might take my skates with me on my bike 8-)

Luklear Blast
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 57
Team: BRD Men

Postby Luklear Blast » 28 Jul 2015, 15:00

It's school holidays so expect it to be crawling with tiny children on scooters.

van_halen
Youngling
Youngling

Postby van_halen » 28 Jul 2015, 15:07

Luklear Blast wrote:It's school holidays so expect it to be crawling with tiny children on scooters.

I hadn't even thought of that! I will be on my way to work though, so it's likely to be 7:30ish in the morning so hopefully I've got an hour before the kiddies turn up after morning television :?:

Return to “Roll Up!”