Skating / Game & Rules / Learning to skate
Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 301 (was g33k)
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Clarification about baseball slides

Postby Chick Dastardly » 27 Apr 2011, 22:36

We were just practising baseball slides this evening and were discussing whether it's OK to use your hands (or rather, your fists, to keep your fingers in) to get up again. I was saying that it doesn't seem logical to NOT be able to use your hands, as you end up flailing around quite a bit (which is far more dangerous to you and the skaters around you that keeping your hand tucked in to push yourself up)

I had a google and found this video from Jawbreaker and also the WFTDA min skills sheet just to check what was mentioned and it doesn't say anything about how to get up, just to return to skating quickly.

I'm guessing the important part of it for min skills is to land and miss your tailbone by taking the hit on your hips, and to keep your legs under control during the fall and recovery

Can I get clarification on this please?

Ta!

Mortabella Bam
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 667

Re: Clarification about baseball slides

Postby Mortabella Bam » 27 Apr 2011, 22:42

I would say no to using your hands. I have a vague memory of doing them at St Paul's with Wonton and her telling everyone not to use their hands.

I would use stomach muscles to pull yourself up with and use the motion you had when sliding to then 'fly' back up again - almost like you don't 'sit down' properly when doing them.

It's hard to say but i can show you at practise as i quite like them :oops:

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja

Postby Chick Dastardly » 27 Apr 2011, 22:47

Yeah I remember being told that too - and although I can get up without using hands I fail to see the logic in *not* using them when the whole point is to get up quickly. When in the down baseball slide position it's easy to put your hand down with fingers tucked it to get yourself back up again

edit - after all the main points of min skills etc is to make sure you can skate and fall and get up again with minimum impact on the other skaters so you don't cause pile ups. I can see that it could be preferable to not put your hands down at all (less risk of acccidentally getting your fingers broken) but it would be silly to say it's somehow a definite no-no if that's not actually the case, do you see what i mean?

Mortabella Bam
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mortabella Bam » 27 Apr 2011, 22:49

yeah, i see what you mean. maybe it is simply to avoid any finger/hand injuries at all costs!

we should ask Wonton!

i would say don't use your hand during the assessment but then once you've passed do what you like - a bit like driving! :lol:

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja

Postby Chick Dastardly » 27 Apr 2011, 22:52

Yarp :-)

The thing I'm concerned about is that taking the "avoiding hand injuries at all costs" could lead to not getting up as quickly as you could - which can cause pile ups, and more likely for your legs to accidentally swing out, which would not only be a danger to other skaters but could brake your leg!

EDIt (just seen your thing about the driving thing - haha) that's the reason I'm flagging it up really, we need to make sure that we're assessing properly

EDIT again - coach can be heard in this vid saying "remember to use your fists and not your fingers to get up"

Knuckle Dust Her
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 888
Team: DOA

Postby Knuckle Dust Her » 27 Apr 2011, 23:18

I was told to use your elbows to launch yourself. Easier to explain by showing what i mean i think :D

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p
Team: Smash Vandals

Postby Goldie Lookin Pain » 27 Apr 2011, 23:46

i remember being told try not to use them but if you have to its ok but use fists right behind your back to minimise flailing and risk of getting fingers run over....

Devine Retribution
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 235
Team: Project Mayhem

Postby Devine Retribution » 28 Apr 2011, 07:46

Yeah don't use your hands use a rocking motion to get up. Wonton taught us how to get up before showing the fall xxx

Butch Flowers
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 343
Team: Referees

Postby Butch Flowers » 28 Apr 2011, 11:53

Yep - as it's another way of falling / getting up in a controlled way, it's best to keep hands to a minimum as it could result in a trip or injury. Fists should be fine but I'm not sure how it would score in assessment. Like Knuckles, I learnt to plant an elbow behind me for a bit of extra oomph when getting back up :-)

tattooed-terror
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 13
Team: 9 month injury

Postby tattooed-terror » 28 Apr 2011, 19:10

its great for your abs! I tend to rock to get up without using my arms/hands..

Terror x x

Mortabella Bam
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mortabella Bam » 28 Apr 2011, 19:13

yeah really good for your stomach! i do use a rocking motion but i also just skate really fast into the fall as it's then easier to pop back up. The slower you are going the harder it is i reckon.

Winged Nut
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 19
Team: The Bees, Project Mayhem

Postby Winged Nut » 29 Apr 2011, 00:36

I cannot get up from a baseball slide without using my fist, the rocking motion does not work for me I'm afraid, if I didn't use my hand I'd be stuck on the floor forever!! x

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p

Postby Goldie Lookin Pain » 29 Apr 2011, 15:49

i think its generally a lot harder for taller people or people with long legs! further to go! i tend to use a fist! x

Jam Tart
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 4149

Postby Jam Tart » 29 Apr 2011, 18:00

Rocking is how I get up too, pushing up with my leg/knee.....no hands needed if you rock enough I think...like knuckles said, easier to show it than explain....

Tuff'n Rumble
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: T-850

Postby Tuff'n Rumble » 29 Apr 2011, 21:52

Ok, admittedly, I dont remember the last time I did a baseball slide :oops: but I *think* I sort of (probably using my elbow, but I think it would be possible without) roll over onto my knee, into a sort of single knee-fall position then get up from there, in the normal way. Dunno if that makes sense?!

Return to “Roll Up!”