Skating / Game & Rules / Learning to skate
Lil
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 22
Team: Zebra

Jammers jumping at the jammer start whistle

Postby Lil » 13 Aug 2011, 01:22

The other day at practice we got to discussing jammers jumping forwards over the line right as the jam whistle went. Some people said they had been caught out doing this and got a penalty. The relevant rule is 4.4.2:

Jammers may not be accelerating at the jammer start whistle. They are, however, permitted to be moving, coasting, or braking

There was some discussion on this over at zebrahuddle, and the consensus seems to be that if you jump forwards and are fully airborne as the whistle goes, you are not accelerating (as unless you have a jet pack on, there is no way you can be gaining momentum midair). But if you are still touching the ground (e.g. with your back foot as you propel yourself forward over the line) you can be deemed to be accelerating.

It might depend on the ref, but I would say that if you want to try this tactic you will need to be very careful with the timing! And I would always play it safe - wherever there seems to be a "strict" reading of the rules that is the interpretation we should go with. It is not up to the refs to give us the benefit of the doubt.

Hope that clarifies it for people.

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p
Team: Smash Vandals

Re: Jammers jumping at the jammer start whistle

Postby Goldie Lookin Pain » 13 Aug 2011, 11:55

thanks lil, a really nice explanation. xx :D

Lil
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 22
Team: Zebra

Postby Lil » 13 Aug 2011, 13:50

I've been reading zebrahuddle, you learn a lot just by browsing!

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 183
Team: Team Zebra and Vice Quad

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 14 Aug 2011, 09:01

Actually, you may be accelerating toward the ground when the whistle goes. You'd have to be decelerating upwards to technically avoid the penalty. How pedantic am I? :geek:

Zebrauddle is a good resource for anyone wanting to get their heads around the finer nuances of the rules. Although it can be a headache when you've got several different peoples' views on the same subject! It seems to be taken up with alot of star pass questions at the moment. They're not 'panties', they're bleedin covers! :x

La Bicha
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 62
Team: Smash Vandals!! The greytest team!

Postby La Bicha » 14 Aug 2011, 10:50

:lol:

Being lycra they look more like panties to me. Maybe we could call them "cosies"?

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 183
Team: Team Zebra and Vice Quad

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 14 Aug 2011, 15:30

I like cosies! :lol: I don't know if they have to made of wool or something like that to be called cosies though!

Return to “Roll Up!”