Skating / Game & Rules / Learning to skate
Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 301 (was g33k)
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Hockey Stops vs. Power Slides

Postby Chick Dastardly » 18 Jan 2012, 12:06

After a bit of discussion at an open skate about what's the difference between a hockey stop and a powerslide I had a bit of a careful look into some instruction vids on youtube

They're basically the same thing (i.e. the idea is to stop from high speed as quickly as possible) but Bonnie's power slide is:
Skating forward
Skating sideways (briefly)
Face backwards, push back foot out to brake
whereas the hockey stop is more throwing a turn into a plough stop

In one case an artistic skater on youtube does a hockey stop by just quickly turning both skates in one direction (keeping legs close together rather than going into plough stop)

Some screen grabs (link to vid below the screen grabs)

Powerslide:
powerslide_0.JPG
powerslide_0.JPG (33.31 KiB) Viewed 11865 times

powerslide_1.JPG
powerslide_1.JPG (32.49 KiB) Viewed 11865 times

powerslide_2.JPG
powerslide_2.JPG (31.87 KiB) Viewed 11865 times

powerslide_3.JPG
powerslide_3.JPG (30.53 KiB) Viewed 11865 times

powerslide_4.JPG
powerslide_4.JPG (31.71 KiB) Viewed 11865 times

powerslide_5.JPG
powerslide_5.JPG (32.4 KiB) Viewed 11865 times

powerslide_6.JPG
powerslide_6.JPG (34.75 KiB) Viewed 11865 times

powerslide_7.JPG
powerslide_7.JPG (31.11 KiB) Viewed 11865 times

Youtube: Boonie D. Stroir - How to do a power slide

Hockey stop (focusing on skater in green on right):

hs0.JPG
hs0.JPG (43.9 KiB) Viewed 11865 times

hs1.JPG
hs1.JPG (45.35 KiB) Viewed 11865 times

hs2.JPG
hs2.JPG (46.11 KiB) Viewed 11865 times

hs3.JPG
hs3.JPG (46.42 KiB) Viewed 11865 times

hs4.JPG
hs4.JPG (45.42 KiB) Viewed 11865 times

hs5.JPG
hs5.JPG (45.8 KiB) Viewed 11865 times

hs6.JPG
hs6.JPG (46.98 KiB) Viewed 11865 times

Youtube derbydiva.com how to do a hockey stop

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Re: Hockey Stops vs. Power Slides

Postby the Blizzard » 18 Jan 2012, 12:24

For me a 'hockey stop' means the stop I'd do on ice [hockey] skates, feet fairly close together and both sideways, using both feet, like this (add. the 'artistic' style that Chick mentioned):

If I use my front foot mainly and bring it to the front (like what Bonnie does in the pic Chick posted), that's a power slide for me. But it could also be a very sloppy hockey stop if I use the back foot too...

edit. In short... Hockey stop - both feet close together, power slide - one foot brought to front

Adele Linquent
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 0o
Team: Daughters Of Anarchy and Harlots

Postby Adele Linquent » 18 Jan 2012, 13:18

I tried the two feet Hockey Stops at some open skate recently. I was quite aprehensive because it seemed obvious to me that my wheels would grip the floor so well that I'd be flying forward as opposed to nicely glide as if on ice.
I tried anyway, but at slow speed (because not much space). I tried to put my body as far back as possible and it kinda worked. Ish. I think I may try again when no one can see me and when I can put a mattress on the back wall! :lol:
I remember that Dr Octogone (Paul) hockey-stops like this all the time. I may ask him.

The power slide that I just cannot do is the one that Bonnie is explaining whereby your back foot is facing back. Mine is facing forward in what looks very similar to my plough stops (which I've always done with one foot only ploughing in front of me).

Can't wait to be at practice again. :)

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja

Postby the Blizzard » 18 Jan 2012, 13:45

Adele Linquent wrote:I remember that Dr Octogone (Paul) hockey-stops like this all the time. I may ask him.
Yep, he's the man for hockey stops! :mrgreen:

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 48
Team: Cheering Squad

Postby da silva surfer » 03 Sep 2013, 17:31

Bumping cause its relevant :)

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja

Hockey Stops vs. Power Slides

Postby da silva surfer » 04 Sep 2013, 15:21

Just wanted to highlight something Bonnie mentions in her video above: you also need the right wheel/floor combo to do these stops. If your wheels are too soft for the floor your skating on you won't get the slide you need to perform the powerslide. x

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja

Postby the Blizzard » 04 Sep 2013, 16:11

da silva surfer wrote:you also need the right wheel/floor combo to do these stops

You need the right wheel/floor combo to learn stops - then it's possible to take stops to all kinds of surfaces/wheels (if we stay within the usual floors and wheels we encounter). Applies to all wheel traction stops, plough, t-stop etc. It's about fine tuning the traction you apply. With hard wheels and slidy floor you can slam your foot down and still slide, with sticky floor and sticky wheels you need much smoother 'landing'.

Tilly Latimer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 12
Team: BRD A Team

Postby Tilly Latimer » 04 Sep 2013, 16:28

I think I just really don't understand the weight distribution/what my body is supposed to be doing in hockey stops. I am certain if I could figure out how I am supposed to move, it would all work!

Delta Strike
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 4X

Postby Delta Strike » 04 Sep 2013, 16:30

Hey Tilly

In terms of weight distribution I need to show you something that Reanimator did which really helped me. I can't really explain it here but it involves a karate chop ;-)

x

Tilly Latimer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 12
Team: BRD A Team

Postby Tilly Latimer » 04 Sep 2013, 16:44

Delta Strike wrote:Hey Tilly

In terms of weight distribution I need to show you something that Reanimator did which really helped me. I can't really explain it here but it involves a karate chop ;-)

x

That would be amazing Delta. When I am free from my own personal hell of bat surveys and work stress, I'll be back at training and begging you to show me! It's one of those things I long to be able to do and can visualise doing it, but then when I try I am like a hunched crab. Sad.

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja

Postby da silva surfer » 04 Sep 2013, 17:13

the Blizzard wrote:You need the right wheel/floor combo to learn stops - then it's possible to take stops to all kinds of surfaces/wheels (if we stay within the usual floors and wheels we encounter). Applies to all wheel traction stops, plough, t-stop etc. It's about fine tuning the traction you apply. With hard wheels and slidy floor you can slam your foot down and still slide, with sticky floor and sticky wheels you need much smoother 'landing'.

Well I don't know, I'm pretty proficient at plough stopping both standard and small plough but some days I get to withywood and just can't do them as well as other days cause i suddenly am stuck to the floor...if I go to light footed when will I stop?...I will try your suggestion out later though x

Return to “Roll Up!”