Minimum Skills - Second wave of assessments!

Skating / Game & Rules / Learning to skate
Forum rules
BRD Public Forum
Skating / Game & Rules / Learning to skate
The Wrecknician
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 56k
Team: Smash Vandals

Postby The Wrecknician » 19 Oct 2010, 10:43

If we are missing only one or two things from our minimum skills, do we need to just have those certain things assessed or should we go through everything again from scratch?

Wonton Destruction
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 8
Team: Alpha Beta Slammers

Postby Wonton Destruction » 19 Oct 2010, 10:47

You just need those things reassessed. As always, you can try and catch me if you're early to training. For speed tests, we can try and sneak these in at the start of Fresh Meat Sundays or at the end of Sunday (hall is still open but usually unbooked 8-9pm)

The Wrecknician
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 56k

Postby The Wrecknician » 19 Oct 2010, 10:52

Awesome, thanks Wonton!

Tuff'n Rumble
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: T-850
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Tuff'n Rumble » 19 Oct 2010, 11:06

Cool thanks! Er do you think we could spend a few mins practicing backwards skating (and maybe one or two other things, like power slides & hockey stops, dont think we've done those?)? Admittedly I've not been to *loads* of practices though! Also I've never been taught how to give/receive whips or checks... Are these things that will come up eventually or should I be trying to learn by myself or coming to other sessions...? I wanna catch up! ^.^

TRx

Lil
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 22
Team: Zebra

Postby Lil » 19 Oct 2010, 12:38

Tuff, check the assessment sheet - only those things with the pass/fail box are essential (e.g. you don't need to be able to do backwards skating).

Wonton Destruction
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Wonton Destruction » 19 Oct 2010, 12:53

Tuff, we do all these skills on Sundays. You need to show up to training!

Tuff'n Rumble
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Tuff'n Rumble » 19 Oct 2010, 13:08

Oh ok thanks Lil!

I have been coming the last month or (except for one weekend away for my boyf's bday), I couldnt make last Sunday because I couldnt drive and no-one offered me a lift from town! (Bus wasnt an option as times totally clashed with ones from Yate).

Anyway enough excuses :-p I'll be there when I can!

TRx

[Edit: Damn it! Just noticed the 75 goes to Withywood and only takes 20mins! :-\]

Wild Strife
Youngling
Youngling

Postby Wild Strife » 19 Oct 2010, 17:10

Lillibit thankyou! I was thinking it would be an age before I could pass skills assessment because I can't skate backwards!

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 301 (was g33k)

Postby Chick Dastardly » 19 Oct 2010, 17:27

My experience is that it's best to stick to basic training for a while, this allows the girls who are further along to practise contact and scrimmaging as we've got a bout coming up in the not too distant future!

I started after the first wave of assessments and found that it was better to take it easy and make sure I had given myself plenty of time to master the basics, also to make sure that I wasn't slowing up the skills people. After all the skills assessments are simply to get things assessed, not learn how to do them.

I know it's frustrating because it feels like it's missing out on skate time (that's why I started roller hockey, brilliant for fast improvement on balance, stopping and manoeuvring!) but I guess it all comes down to how you feel your own abilities are, maybe discuss with one of the coaches if you're not sure when at basic training.

EDIT: if one of the coaches disagrees with anything there then please mention it! Just thought I'd share my own take on the situation re: when to start skills assessments

Wonton Destruction
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Wonton Destruction » 21 Oct 2010, 09:54

UPDATE:: 2 hours are no longer available together Tuesdays over November, sorry!

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 301 (was g33k)

Postby Chick Dastardly » 21 Oct 2010, 10:05

doh!

maybe we should just go for extending the weds session then? As it's for skills it means not having to make it down on an extra evening?

There was other talk about just booking for extra practise (so open for anyone really and maybe not needing to be coaching led) which may suit a tues night slot better?

Tequila Jammer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 55abv

Postby Tequila Jammer » 21 Oct 2010, 11:03

Tuff - get the 76 not 75, you will not get to practice if you get the 75. Get off at Hareclive road. I get the bus to practice on a Sunday, but because i dont finish work til just before 6, i get the 6 O clock one from outside of primark. I get there at 6.30ish.

There is also one at 5.35 i think. x

Tuff'n Rumble
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Tuff'n Rumble » 21 Oct 2010, 11:51

Thanks Tequila! I usually have the car so hopefully wont need the bus again (til I move into town), but defo noted for if there's a next time! The annoying thing is my bus from Yate gets into town at 5:36 so would have to get the earlier one, leaving home at 3pm!!

Anyway, thanks for the help :)

Wild Strife
Youngling
Youngling

Postby Wild Strife » 21 Oct 2010, 16:42

Hmm, that makes sense Chick...I will hang back for now then and just keep doing hockey! After all, think I'll need a refresher in December as I don't think much skating will happen while I'm on hols!!

Wonton Destruction
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Wonton Destruction » 22 Oct 2010, 10:08

I did give my word that we'd have a second wave this year but I think I need to suspend this until the end of the year or until January because of low numbers and closing in of the bout in December. I think now the best option would be to fit in an extra hour for intermediate skaters to work on skills learnt over the week and fill in any blanks on assessment sheets, yes?

Return to “Roll Up!”