Adele Linquent
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 0o
Team: Daughters Of Anarchy and Harlots

Roller Derby books

Postby Adele Linquent » 18 Feb 2011, 11:31

Hi,
I thought I'd start a thread about Derby books because there are more and more out there, but we may not know what they cover and they may not all be good! (0_o)
So, I finished this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rollergirl-Tota ... 859&sr=8-3
It's basically the story of the re-birth of Derby in Texas.

The whole beginnig is pretty much "Hell on wheels" but from an insider's perspective. This whole bit is a bit uncomfortable and it's like listening to someone who bitches about a workmate who you know nothing about... I'd say: watch the documentary first, you will less awkwards.

Then it gets to the birth of the Texas Rollergirls' league and their history ever since. It's a bit boasting at times... self-congratulating and self-centered, but it's interesting nonetheless.

A few interesting bits about the game here and there, but mostly a history and autobiographical book, also portraying some big Derby figures.

Some interesting points about the Derby culture, including "how to pick a name" which is really good for new skaters that are stuck with choosing one.

Overall, well-written and fast to read, not a bore at all, but not high on tricks and tips to play better.
(^_^)
-Del

Delta Strike
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 4X

Postby Delta Strike » 18 Feb 2011, 14:19

I have that one too and anyone is welcome to borrow it if they like.

I also just finished this book too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Down-Derby-Jennifer-Barbee-Cohen/dp/1593762747/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298038813&sr=8-1

Thought it was great fun and really good for those just getting into derby, gives you a great overview of everything.

xxx

Tequila Jammer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 55abv
Team: Smash Vandals

Postby Tequila Jammer » 18 Feb 2011, 18:12

Ooh Delta can I borrow Down and Derby please? xxxx

Delta Strike
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 4X

Postby Delta Strike » 18 Feb 2011, 18:13

Yup, i've lent it to someone but as soon as i get back its yours.

xxx

Tequila Jammer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 55abv

Postby Tequila Jammer » 18 Feb 2011, 18:15

Awesomeness.x

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Postby the Blizzard » 18 Feb 2011, 18:51

I have a recent Blood & Thunder magazine which I'm happy to lend to readers... :-)

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p

Postby Goldie Lookin Pain » 18 Feb 2011, 19:02

oooh could i borrow that blizz? i will also get in line for the other books! ;) xx

Ruby Whipper
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 78
Team: project mayhem/ Harlots A

Postby Ruby Whipper » 18 Feb 2011, 21:08

i too have down and derby, ive just started it but i did notice the story about the girl who got hit in the neck and is now paralysed! not for faint hearted this derby malarkey :)

Adele Linquent
Yoda
Yoda

Postby Adele Linquent » 19 Feb 2011, 14:44

Lucky girl, she can play Murderball.

Adele Linquent
Yoda
Yoda

Postby Adele Linquent » 27 Feb 2011, 14:18

Hi,

I've finished this book a week ago:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roller-Derby-History-All-girl-Greatest/dp/1933108118/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1298815623&sr=8-10

It's beautifully presented, lots of very nice pictures, fully coloured pages and quite lush-looking, except some very rare pages that are printed black on a dark blue background... But it's lacking substance, in my opinion. It's a nice introduction to Derby, but it's only that. It's a bit shallow. It tries to touch on every subjects, but you don't get a lot from any.

Something slightly disconcerting is that it looks like it's organised in clear chapters, but in fact, it's not really. Various subjects are explained all through the book when they officially have a chapter for their own, like the fighting-in-Derby issue, which she's oddly obsessed with, comes back again and again. It gives an impression of confusion and redundant page-filling sometimes. Although it's talking about the history and it goes over the rules with odd precision compared to all the other issues, it feels like it's mostly about the culture of Derby, and yet not in depth enough.

Still though, it's enjoyable, it reads in a very short time and as I said, it's a beautiful object.

-Del

Adele Linquent
Yoda
Yoda

Postby Adele Linquent » 27 Feb 2011, 14:40

Now, there's the one that Delta mentioned above and I've only just finished it this morning:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Down-Derby-Jennifer-Barbee-Cohen/dp/1593762747/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1298815623&sr=8-4

This one, I have to say, is the one you should get if you only had money for a single Derby book. It's quite cheap too.

It's got everything in there, yet it's not a phone-book size and you can read it in a few evenings. It's quite a mystery to me how they could talk about so much, while being in depth with pretty much every one of the subjects in no much more reading time than the other books. It's so well written that I found it hard to put my bookmark in and go to sleep.

You do learn a lot with this book. The history part is a lot more informative and complete than the two books previously read. The organisation of the chapters is just clever, pretty much obeying the law of chronological appearances in your Derby progression: history, rules, can you be a derby girl with 10 very interesting commandments (that I think we should show at the try-outs), how to become a derby girl now that you know you can be one, and finally what you can do for the league if you can't be a Derby girl (description of all the other jobs, including fan!). All this filled with some Derby culture (for example: how is Derby involved in the community?), etiquette (do's and dont's for switching league), advice (what do you do when you're a derby widow?), definitions (what exactly *is* a derby wife, how does it work?), and skaters' profiles that are relevant to the chapter (unlike other books) and lots more.

To me, this book is essential.

(^_^) Hope it helps.

-Del

Skatey Bo Baity
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 42

Postby Skatey Bo Baity » 24 Mar 2011, 20:28

Hooray! My only love more than a interesting subject is a book about an interesting subject :D

am on Amazon shopping for the last recommended now!

La Bicha
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 62
Team: Smash Vandals!! The greytest team!

Postby La Bicha » 24 Mar 2011, 21:36

Thanks Del!! you should get commission from Amazon. One more sale!

xx

Acid Drop
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Team: Team Zebra!

Postby Acid Drop » 25 Mar 2011, 07:01

And another!! I love Amazon :-)

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p