Where to buy / What to buy / Wheels / Protective gear
Skatey Bo Baity
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 42
Team: Smash Vandals

Atom Wheels Trak-Atak

Postby Skatey Bo Baity » 10 Dec 2011, 22:26

Hey ho, does anyone have these or have tried them?
http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.p ... ato-trak-r

I need to upgrade wheels and was thinking about upgrading to a narrower wheel, but I'm concerned about trading up the grip gained with having a wider contact patch in favour of being hoppier and cutting down on wheel clipping (mostly my own :x ) I also want to stay fairly hard in terms of durometer because I like the controlled slide I get with harder wheels - but I know the durometer is relative and varies from brand to brand. I'm also suspicious of these being some of the cheapest Atoms on the website, which whist is an obvious bonus, the skeptic in me wants to know if it's because they are crapper in comparison ;)

Adele Linquent
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 0o
Team: Daughters Of Anarchy and Harlots

Re: Atom Wheels Trak-Atak

Postby Adele Linquent » 11 Dec 2011, 00:00

:lol: I totally could have written this post myself. With all the exact same words!

So yes, I can't help because I have the same issue! :mrgreen: These wheels were part of my list of wheels to try (this list, which is down the page a bit, is still valid by the way :geek: if you have any of them mentioned)

Skatey Bo Baity
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Skatey Bo Baity » 11 Dec 2011, 08:33

It's tricky because I can't find a review for them by anyone >.<

I wouldn't trade up my fugitives if it weren't for the width and the diameter (and the fact they are so bald - which apparently doesn't really matter since skating warms the urethane up and makes the wheels grippier - so tread is most useful before you've warmed up and the floor is cold - or so I've read!)

I was thinking to buy one set of 4 of the trak atak 95a, and once I get them have a feel and then can decide whether to get the 4 set of the 93a or the 97a: http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.p ... ato-trak-w

If I get them, you can certainly try them out Del :) I think I might just go for it - as I'm typing I'm convincing myself to give them a go! ;)

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p

Postby Goldie Lookin Pain » 11 Dec 2011, 11:22

well i have the atom jukes which are the same size in height and width (59x38) i have 88's and 93's. the idea behind the trak atak i believe was they were created for people who like the jukes but need a bit more grip round the corners. so the trak atak have a slight lip for this. Your welcome to try my jukes, they are a little worn so wont be as grippy as new.
I personally loved them but found i did slide out round the corners a little (however, i think looking back this was actually my foot sliding in my old boots cos they were way too wide for my feet) but at the time i thought it was my wheels so i kept getting different wheels to try and solve the problem which it never did due to it was my boots! - now solved with my correctly fitting 195's)

Anyway your both welcome to try my jukes, I have already promised Del 1st so baity you can try them after?

Also i've just switched to the reckless evaders. They are made by Grn Mnster (Antiks, Heartless wheels, Gumball toe stops) and they are amazing and by far the best wheel for me. They are basically built the same as trak ataks in that they are the small wheel 59x38 but have the slight lip. i have all 88's because we have been playing on really slippy floors recently, but when i have some cash i'm gonna get a set of 93's or 95's for slower floors. however even though grippy they do wicked slides for stops. not the biting juddery thing that happens with some grippy wheels. They are also really, really light.

Some of us have experienced problems with the atom wheels chunking off at the edges. reckless are not meant to do this so last longer as made of different urethane.

http://www.skateattack.co.uk/reckless-w ... -2128.html

Again your both welcome to try these too. (i also have stingers 88a and G Rod 2's 93a if anyone is interest in trying.

Hope this helps (from someone who has gone through a shed load of wheels! :lol: )

Goldie x

Adele Linquent
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 0o
Team: Daughters Of Anarchy and Harlots

Postby Adele Linquent » 11 Dec 2011, 12:14

Goldie Lookin Pain wrote:I have already promised Del 1st so baity you can try them after

I think Bo should try them first as I'm off to France on Tuesday and coming back on the 27th Dec.
Ideally, we could all try everything if that open-skate session is going through and if we all bring our wheels...

White Riot
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 1977
Team: Daughters of Anarchy/Bee for Life!

Postby White Riot » 11 Dec 2011, 12:52

Hi, sorry for crashing this thread but I'd be very up for trying your wheels too Goldie if you don't mind? Perhaps at the same session if lots of people are wheel swapping. My wheels are ok for now as they're pretty new still but I'm sure I could do with going narrower so will probably be looking to upgrade in the new year. I reckon trying a few options is defo the best plan! x

Mortabella Bam
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 667
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Mortabella Bam » 11 Dec 2011, 13:39

Goldie Lookin Pain wrote: however even though grippy they do wicked slides for stops. not the biting juddery thing that happens with some grippy wheels. They are also really, really light.

ooh i am interested in this... i would like to know what narrower/grippier wheels could potentially do for my skating style (as I am currently aiming to get a lot more steppy) but worry about that juddery thing as i love doing plough stops due to the fact i positionally block a lot. So you think that these wheels could offer both? xx

Skatey Bo Baity
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Skatey Bo Baity » 11 Dec 2011, 13:45

Aha, I'm intrigued now by what you're saying Goldie about Atom's chunking off :( Maybe I'll hold off on buying the trak ataks....and look more into these reckless evaders. Would I be able to try those Goldie?

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Postby the Blizzard » 11 Dec 2011, 14:07

Goldie Lookin Pain wrote:Some of us have experienced problems with the atom wheels chunking off at the edges. reckless are not meant to do this so last longer as made of different urethane.

It's common. I asked about it from Tush & Marc (Neon Skates) and they said it doesn't really matter. I understand though people wanting to get new wheels if they have massive chunks missing but if you're happy skating with them, it's OK.

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p

Postby Goldie Lookin Pain » 11 Dec 2011, 15:20

yep anyone who wants to borrow anything let me know.... so i have to recap....

8 x reckless evaders 88a (59x 38)
4 x atom jukes 93a and 4 x 88a (59-38)
4 x atom stingers 88a and 4 x atom G Rod 2 93a (62 x 38 so normal height)

and just to reiterate what Blizz said before, i have chunks missing on the edges of my G Rods and it made no different to my skating. It hasnt happened to my Jukes at all. For me the reckless wheels just suit my skating style best and i like the lightness but i loved my atoms too and am keeping all sets as i will flick between them all cos they are all good for different reasons.

I can only make the tuesday for the free skate but that looks the least popular day.

Goldie xx

Olivia Neutron Bomb
Youngling
Youngling
Skater Number: 14MeV
Team: Project Mayhem

Postby Olivia Neutron Bomb » 11 Dec 2011, 19:46

Goldie Lookin Pain wrote:yep anyone who wants to borrow anything let me know.... so i have to recap....

8 x reckless evaders 88a (59x 38)
4 x atom jukes 93a and 4 x 88a (59-38)
4 x atom stingers 88a and 4 x atom G Rod 2 93a (62 x 38 so normal height)

I'd definitely up for some wheel trialing...I can't make that Tuesday though, is there another time we could arrange?

Taya Thomas
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 88
Team: ADHD

Postby Taya Thomas » 12 Dec 2011, 10:43

Ooh can I try them too!! I can probably make any day! I really liked deltas G-rods? but found them a bit too grippy so wouldn't mind trying so harder ones.
TT

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 301 (was g33k)
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Chick Dastardly » 12 Dec 2011, 11:52

I'd also like to try some wheels.. perhaps at the xmas fun skate?

Return to “Skates & Gear”