Where to buy / What to buy / Wheels / Protective gear
Pain by Numbers
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 123
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Advice on knee pads

Postby Pain by Numbers » 14 Feb 2012, 17:31

I desperately need to buy new knee pads as the padding in mine has become so compacted that it's not cushioning my fall anymore.
My right knee is blue from having a bruise on top of a bruise on top of a bruise and it's time I got some new ones.

I currently have Pro-Tec pads, which I guess are similar to Bullet, Anarchy and 888?
Initially I liked them because they weren't bulky, but I guess the fact they're quite small is the reason they haven't lasted that long.
The more expensive pads like 187s and Scabs just seem massive and bulky.

Can anyone give me a review of their knee pads or some advice on what to get?
Please and thanks! =)

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Re: Advice on knee pads

Postby the Blizzard » 14 Feb 2012, 17:41

The padding seems to compress quite quickly on any knee pads unfortunately. My Scabs don't protect me nearly as well as they did new, just 5? months ago. Haven't got round buying gaskets - gaskets is what people seem to recommend.

Acid Drop
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Team: Team Zebra!

Postby Acid Drop » 14 Feb 2012, 17:47

Yep - gaskets are the way to go. I like the Scabs gaskets, they have a thick horseshoe shaped pad which really cushions the knee.

Sid x

Pain by Numbers
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Pain by Numbers » 14 Feb 2012, 18:12

Would anyone recommend I don't bother buying any new pads and just get gaskets instead?
Or should I buy both!?

E-Z Roller
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 24k
Team: Daughters of Anarchy and A-team

Advice on knee pads

Postby E-Z Roller » 14 Feb 2012, 18:26

I don't think they really make protec gaskets, they make these fake knee pad things for people who don't wanna wear knee pads but skate park rules mean they have to (?)
I think somebody has them though... Chick maybe?

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Postby the Blizzard » 14 Feb 2012, 18:29

I'd say get gaskets first and see how you get on with them. Or borrow someone's gaskets to try them out.

Red October
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 361
Team: Zebra

Postby Red October » 14 Feb 2012, 18:48

E-Z Roller wrote:I don't think they really make protec gaskets, they make these fake knee pad things for people who don't wanna wear knee pads but skate park rules mean they have to (?)
I think somebody has them though... Chick maybe?

I had some (Anarchy) and took them apart for the neoprene - they were comfortable to wear but offered no protection whatsoever!

I have Triple-8 kneepads at the minute and find them really comfortable - the padding is still new and very thick. They have the butterfly closure soI made myself gaskets (no padding, just a sleeve) to go under them and the whole combo is very snug! My kneecaps feel safe. :D

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 301 (was g33k)

Postby Chick Dastardly » 14 Feb 2012, 18:58

I have scabs gaskets and pads, I got the gaskets for the knee support after I blew out the my knee ligament. I love them :) As for the pads, I'm the same as Blizz, they certainly have compacted over time!

You do get used to bulkier pads really quickly, and I'd prefer to have as much protecting my knees as possible. I have the pads/gaskets in large so prob too big for you but you're welcome to try them out!

Adele Linquent
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 0o
Team: Daughters Of Anarchy and Harlots

Postby Adele Linquent » 17 Feb 2012, 14:23

I have Scabs knee pads, Scabs gaskets and extra padding inside the knee pad (between the pad and the gasket, in that empty space). It's some memory foam that I got from motorbike knee pads -inspired by Blizz hand-made pad that she had sewn on the coccyx area at the time-.
I'm very happy with this set-up. Twice, I had a painful bruise on my knee from a very, very hard hit on the floor. That's all.

I agree with Blizz, try the knee gaskets and possibly the extra padding inside like I do before buying new. I don't think you need the same brand for the gasket as for your knee pad, but in case you do, Pro-tec does do gaskets.

Winged Nut
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 19
Team: The Bees, Project Mayhem

Postby Winged Nut » 17 Feb 2012, 17:37

I just got these:
http://www.ss20.com/skateboarding-c1/pa ... lack-p2419

(I got them from www.bwskateshop.com but they are now out of stock)

I also bought Anarchy gaskets (for about £14) to go under them. My original old anarchy knee pads had gone almost flat inside and were pretty much useless so I decided to go for the motel pads + anarchy gaskets. I was worried that they would seem much bulkier than the anarchy pads but the first time I tried them I had no problems and have had none since. The pads are 'horseshoe' shaped so adding the gaskets makes everything feel snug and well padded. I'm really happy with this combo.
xx

Pain by Numbers
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Pain by Numbers » 19 Feb 2012, 13:05

They're so pretty! (well, y'know, as pretty as knee pads can get).
I'm sold! I'm buying some!

Winged nut, what size did you and Taya buy?

Winged Nut
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 19
Team: The Bees, Project Mayhem

Postby Winged Nut » 20 Feb 2012, 17:50

Taya got medium and I got large. If you want to try them on at practice sometime just grab one of us and ask (I haven't asked Taya but I'm sure she'd be ok with this!)
We both got the gaskets in M/L incase that's of interest.

xx

Skatey Bo Baity
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 42
Team: Smash Vandals

Postby Skatey Bo Baity » 19 Apr 2012, 10:03

Does anyone have the 187 Pro Knee Pads? Are they the ones you have to strap on or do they pull up?

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 48
Team: Cheering Squad

Postby da silva surfer » 19 Apr 2012, 10:18

They strap on, I have small ones if you want to try them on. I love them now but had to get gaskets as I felt there was too much space between my knee and the pad without them. A few people have them in the league so you can definitely try them before.

I scanned this in the other day from five on five and its all about pads (although one page is folded doh!, but its only about cleaning pads at that point)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4ECpRA ... VlTlU/edit

Hope your knee is feeling better today :)

x

silva

Skatey Bo Baity
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 42
Team: Smash Vandals

Postby Skatey Bo Baity » 20 Apr 2012, 15:00

It's been really okay :D (thank god!) I was so upset at the time when I thought I'd injured myself AGAIN and would be off skates for longer - but I've learnt my lesson and am getting new pads and gaskets like a sensible human. I might stay out of pack drills until my new pads arrive (which I've yet to order), or at least until my gaskets arrive though.

I'm a bit concerned about the ones you strap on though...a couple ladies have mentioned theirs often slip?

Good link btw!

Return to “Skates & Gear”