Where to buy / What to buy / Wheels / Protective gear
Red October
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 361
Team: Zebra

Re: Advice on knee pads

Postby Red October » 20 Apr 2012, 15:04

I have the ones that strap on (rather than slide) and I love them. I was initially skeptical, as I really liked the ones I had before - with a sleeve - but I have found they're very practical - if I forget and put my skate on first I can still put them on, and if (knock on wood) something happened to me they wouldn't have to be cut off! :o

I did miss the knee-cuddle of the sleeve though, so I have found the whole gasket/pad combo to be really comfy - it's secure and I feel very safe! They just have to be strapped tight enough, they shouldn't slip.

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 48
Team: Cheering Squad

Advice on knee pads

Postby da silva surfer » 20 Apr 2012, 15:06

Mine don't move anywhere, they are on the snug side though. x

Adele Linquent
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 0o
Team: Daughters Of Anarchy and Harlots

Postby Adele Linquent » 20 Apr 2012, 15:06

I would think the slipage would be a size issue, not a strapping issue. Mine strap and they don't slip.
My advice for any kind of pads is to buy a size smaller than you would normally, because they stretch fast.
Also I don't think anyone should Derby without knee gaskets. (I even have extra memory foam in between my gaskets and my pads) :geek:

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Postby the Blizzard » 20 Apr 2012, 15:37

There's one issue with strapping: you need to tighten the Bottom strap well and make sure the strap tightens above the point where your calf starts tapering towards your knee. That way the fattest part of your calf stops your pad slipping down.

Red October
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Red October » 20 Apr 2012, 15:40

Adele Linquent wrote:My advice for any kind of pads is to buy a size smaller than you would normally, because they stretch fast.

I did that, and initially had to attach a couple inches of extra Velcro to the bottom strap to even close it :oops: . Now, they're stretched out and I cut off the extra bit, and they fasten just fine.

Tuff'n Rumble
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: T-850
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Tuff'n Rumble » 28 May 2012, 13:31

I've finally come to the realisation that my knee pads are just crap all round! Aside from being old - the foam is probably totally compressed now - the plastic bit is just too small so a couple of times I've fallen, the pad has slipped and i've ended up landing just on the foam bit at the bottom or side. This happened quite badly on Saturday (fortunately my knee's only badly bruised), so have just ordered a new pair finally.

I went looking for the Motel ones Nut and Taya have as they seem pretty good (and yes, are pretty!), but they're still sold out on the ss20 site, and I wanted to order some asap :) While browsing I came across these Capix ones which I think look pretty good but they only have L or XL (£45 down from £65 atm!) http://www.ss20.com/skateboarding-c1/pads-helmets-c13/capix-capix-knee-pads-black-p2416

So went for these bad boys which from the description sound pretty good:
http://www.ss20.com/skateboarding-c1/pads-helmets-c13/protec-protec-drop-in-knee-pads-black-p2431 The knee cap even has a wear indicator :D

I'll let y'all know how I get one when i've tried them out!
[Pain I know you must have new pads by now, but this seems to have turned into a general knee pad thread, so this may still be of use :) ]
Last edited by Tuff'n Rumble on 28 May 2012, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

Red October
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Red October » 28 May 2012, 13:33

Tuff, those look ace! I look forward to hearing how you get on with them. I love the idea of a wear indicator - like a radiation badge for the ol' kneecaps. :D

Pain by Numbers
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 123
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Pain by Numbers » 28 May 2012, 14:04

I have indeed got new knee pads. I got the same Motel ones Nut and Taya have.
It's a pity they don't seem to be available anywhere else because they're excellent pads for their price!
Coupled with some anachry gaskets, I feel very protected :)

Return to “Skates & Gear”