Where to buy / What to buy / Wheels / Protective gear
Black Thorn
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 999
Team: BRD A & DOA

looking for grippy wheels with slide!

Postby Black Thorn » 19 Mar 2012, 13:40

I am currently skating on rollerbone zebras (86a). I like the grip they give, especially when cornering, but I have realised over the last that after 3 months of ‘getting used to them’ that they are in fact too soft and that I can’t go on using t-stops and transitions as my stops of choice, so I am after something that grips well in the turns, but is firm enough to give the controlled slide necessary for plough/hockey stops.

Any recommendations?

I have done some research (before getting a bit overwhelmed!) and it seems a fair few wheels at least claim to have this combo, so wanted some personal recommendations if possible.

I had a look at some of the old wheels discussions couldn’t find anything about this specifically, so I hope you don’t mind me starting a new thread!

Thanks!

Tequila Jammer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 55abv
Team: Smash Vandals

Re: looking for grippy wheels with slide!

Postby Tequila Jammer » 19 Mar 2012, 13:53

I am skating on Flat Outrageous 88a, I really like them, they are grippy but not too much so. You are more than welcome to try them, perhaps we could switch wheels for a sesh.... the only trouble is that i want shorter wheels now, I am looking at getting some different ones too, alas I am very poor.

Might be best to try some combos/pushers whatever the fudge they are called???somebody else will have a bit more knowledge there...

tattooed-terror
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 13
Team: 9 month injury

Postby tattooed-terror » 19 Mar 2012, 13:56

try four and four? rather than 8 of the same... thats how I roll.. ;) 88's and 94's

Terror x x

Ruby Whipper
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 78
Team: project mayhem/ Harlots A

Postby Ruby Whipper » 19 Mar 2012, 14:03

Im the same as terror, I love my jukes if that helps?!

Delta Strike
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 4X

Postby Delta Strike » 19 Mar 2012, 14:03

No matter what any of us say, wheels are extremely difficult to advise on because everyones bodys and skating styles vary so much. I advise at practice looking at what people are skating on, ask them about it and see if you can try out the ones you are interested in.

I think you'd do well on a narrow wheel though as you quite stable and it will help improve your already impressive agility and steppyness.

xxx

Black Thorn
Yoda
Yoda

Postby Black Thorn » 19 Mar 2012, 15:52

Thanks for all the advice guys! Delta as usual you talk lots of sense (I mean about it being so personal/based on skating style, not about my agility/steppyness ;) )

It seems combo/pusher thing might be the way to go!

Ruby are you on 88's and 94's too? I have read lots of good review of Jukes. Terror what make are your wheels?

I will start collaring people at training and asking about their wheels.

When we are in the warehouse and potentially have more training time available to us maybe we can heve a wheel swap-shop.

xx

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Postby the Blizzard » 19 Mar 2012, 16:08

Although I have combo Jukes, I am not convinced with mixing wheels. For me it's a compromise because I could not afford to buy three sets of 8 wheels! I'd have all the same grippiness because I want my skates behave the same no matter which way I do my hockey stop, powerslide, juke etc... I think mixing wheels is OK if you go round like a speed skater, but derby is more. Anyway that's my take :o)

Delta Strike
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 4X

Postby Delta Strike » 19 Mar 2012, 16:19

Actually I've read a lot of things that disagree with the need of combo wheels too.

This from sin city skates is really useful in understanding different features of wheels:

http://www.sincityskates.com/images/dow ... rmance.pdf

Black Thorn
Yoda
Yoda

Postby Black Thorn » 19 Mar 2012, 16:53

God, this is not straight forward is it :D

I think I need to be sensible, do some further research and try some wheels to see what works for me (although after reading various reviews I am tempted just to be impulsive and buy some atom juke slims in 93 or 95 when I get paid on Thursday and just get on with it, I am sure I'd be able to sell them on if they don't work for me!).

Any other thoughts/recommendations will be gratefully received.

Power Kraut
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 11
Team: ADHD, Harbour Harlots B

Postby Power Kraut » 19 Mar 2012, 16:55

There's also these guys: http://getrolling.co.uk/ where you can rent some wheels for a while to try them out. The selection is not huge but it seems like a fun idea!

E-Z Roller
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 24k
Team: Daughters of Anarchy and A-team

Postby E-Z Roller » 19 Mar 2012, 17:52

Yeah I tried with pushers and found it a bit awkward, good to go round and round but not for all the other directions (to put it very simply)
;-)
I use fugitive mids blue (90a I think)
They are a bit cheaper and seem a fine all rounder x

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p

Postby Goldie Lookin Pain » 19 Mar 2012, 18:58

i use both combo's and mix.... i've found it very much depends on the wheel and where you place them on the skate.

I love my jukes and currently are on 88 and 93's but thats only cos ive lost a set of 88's somewhere! anyways... ive not noticed too much difference but i have them diagnal rather than all one side.

My reckless are all 88 but i cant decide if i like them now or not so have gone back to jukes but i change my mind regularly.

in general i prefer a shorter narrower wheel but its all personal choice.

you are welcome to try any wheels i have:
reckless evader (59x38mm) all 88a
atom juke 2 (59x38) 8 x 88a and 4 x 93a
atom stingers (62x38mm) x 4 88a (for sale)
atom grod2 (62 x 38mm) x 4 93a (for sale)

ive also ordered some atom venom (59x38mm) 84a x 8 for when we play sticky floors as Notts was horrendous, they are like small poisons.

G x

Frau POW!
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 28
Team: Smash Vandals, Harbour Harlots

Postby Frau POW! » 19 Mar 2012, 22:17

Black Thorn wrote:I am tempted just to be impulsive and buy some atom juke slims in 93 or 95 when I get paid on Thursday

If you can afford to, then I would agree that sometimes you've just got to try these things. If only they weren't so expensive...
Anyway, if you're on 86 wheels at the moment, it's probably not a good idea to move straight to 95ers. The difference between the numbers seems only small, but the actual difference for skating (I swapped between 88s and 93s for example) is huuuuge, so potentially increasing hardness by 9 seems crazy to me ;). You'll notice a massive difference already just by going up one level higher. x

White Riot
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 1977
Team: Daughters of Anarchy/Bee for Life!

Postby White Riot » 19 Mar 2012, 22:59

I'd also love to try some other wheels at a session when it's convenient :) x

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p

Postby Goldie Lookin Pain » 19 Mar 2012, 23:11

* my post was meant to say slippy floors!

also in my lame ass typing i was meant to say i switch between using all the same and a mix! it really depends on what wheels they are and what you want from them.

Riot you are welcome to try any of mine. just give me a holla and i will bring next practice.

* and if anyone is interested in the stingers or grod 2's they are for sale, worn but plenty of life left! originally £45 each per 4, im selling £15 each set of 4 ONO.

welcome to try before you buy, i just prefer smaller as well as thinner.

G x

Return to “Skates & Gear”