Where to buy / What to buy / Wheels / Protective gear
Knuckle Dust Her
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 888
Team: DOA

Postby Knuckle Dust Her » 11 Oct 2010, 13:55

Hi,

I have a pair of R3's and want to get some outdoor wheels. Had a look online and there are so many to choose from!! I just want something i can pratice in so wondered if any of you ladies could point me in the right direction :)

Lucy x

Wonton Destruction
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 8
Team: Alpha Beta Slammers

Postby Wonton Destruction » 11 Oct 2010, 14:00

Try either of the Kryptonics (Cruise or True) from Skate Bristol, they're nice and cheap and are a larger size than standard outdoor wheels that you'd get at Rollermania

Knuckle Dust Her
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 888
Team: DOA

Postby Knuckle Dust Her » 12 Oct 2010, 09:30

Tequila Jammer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 55abv
Team: Smash Vandals

Postby Tequila Jammer » 13 Oct 2010, 20:57

I want to buy some new wheels but not sure which ones to try first. Maybe people could write mini reviews of their wheels. It might help me to decide. xxx

Wonton Destruction
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 8
Team: Alpha Beta Slammers

Postby Wonton Destruction » 13 Oct 2010, 22:08

We've got a trial session 6-7pm on Sunday, remember! Chance to try others' skates & wheels and a full gear breakdown xx

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 183
Team: Team Zebra and Vice Quad

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 06 Nov 2010, 13:32

Along similar lines to Dominique's first post, I'm thinking about getting some R3s (a popular choice for derby newbies obviously) but the cayman wheels it comes with have had some bad reviews. So, I've been thinking about getting some new indoor wheels for them. I've been eyeing the Radar Flat Outs and like the idea that they're quite sticky but are they too sticky at 88A? Would 91/93s be better or does that depend on your skating style/skill level? What's the best for the speed test?

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Postby the Blizzard » 06 Nov 2010, 13:58

My 92A wheels are good at Withywood but were too slippy at St Paul's. I couldn't confidently corner with them there. Withywood foor is quite sticky so my wheels are now perfect.

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Postby the Blizzard » 06 Nov 2010, 14:00

Have a look at this topic too Paul: Floors and wheels

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 06 Nov 2010, 14:11

Cheers ta Blizz (I like the idea of a roller derby pit team, "drrr wheel out drrr wheel in")

Yarn Bomber
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: B-52
Team: Project Mayhem

Postby Yarn Bomber » 13 Nov 2010, 20:56

I need some wheel help! I have NO idea when it comes to wheels.

I've GOT to replace mine before the bout, mine have worn down thin on the sides.

Someone suggested fugitives, but reading on a skate forum, there seem to be a few who've had problems with them seperating from the hub :O

I am prepared to pay for some decent ones. (hopefully someone is buying my spare Wonder Frog doll)

I've also read about having different ones on the left side to the ones on the right of the skate (for cornering, I guess?)

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 13 Nov 2010, 23:08

I also know next to nothing about wheels and stuff, but I think I read that stickier wheels can be used as pushers (which I think are the wheels on the inside of each foot)which I guess means that you can get a decent amount of push without slipping on the floor (well duh!). But I suppose that stickier wheels would slow you down so I don't know if it's worth mixing wheels as you'll only be able to go as fast as your slowest wheels, correct me if I'm wrong on any of this!

I would like to learn more about bearings and wheels if anyone knows where to find such info (without going on all the skate shop websites).

Adele Linquent
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 0o
Team: Daughters Of Anarchy and Harlots

Postby Adele Linquent » 14 Nov 2010, 00:17

Well, I did exactly what knowledgeable Paul described (^_^). I had the Radar Demon wheels that came with my skates for ever, but I was really unconfident in corners because I knew they could potentially slide any time. When we went to scrimmage in Birmingham, I did an awful job as a Jammer as I was sliding everywhere, falling over and when I manage to get some skating done, I was going much slower because of the cautiousness (on a power jam as well, I just wanted to bury myself...).

I bought some Fugitives, put them on the inside and I haven't given a second thought about my skates from then on. Despite having half of my wheels slightly slower, I'm going faster because I don't fear sliding out the track and into the wall, risking injury and worse: losing lots of time.

They're a winner to me. But then, I don't know about that coming-off-the-hub business. Could be a bad batch...

Delta Strike
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 4X

Postby Delta Strike » 14 Nov 2010, 07:43

Ah, yeah I had noticed other derby girls with two different sets of wheels on their skates and was wondering what that was about! Now I know!

xs

Katie Clysmic
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 26
Team: Daughters of Anarchy/ Harbour Harlots

Postby Katie Clysmic » 14 Nov 2010, 09:02

Too me it makes the most sense to have the gripper wheels on the outside of your left foot and the inside of your right foot, so when you are skating anticlockwise round the track crossing over, the gripper wheels will be the last ones to leave the track and that's when you don't want to risk the wheels slipping away.

I have the fugitive wheels (92A) and really like them, just wish I'd got the fugitive Mids, which are narrower.

Adele Linquent
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 0o
Team: Daughters Of Anarchy and Harlots

Postby Adele Linquent » 14 Nov 2010, 11:24

It seems to vary from skater to skater. When you do a search to find out what configuration is best, you can find all sorts of people putting their wheels in all sorts of places (...should I edit this sentence? Nah, I'll leave it! (^_^) ).

It's precisely for the reasons you're stating, KC, that I've put mine on the inside. It's the last side of my skate that leaves the floor. Or so I think, not having eyes at floor level, I still need some practises to find out for sure. Work in progress.

Return to “Skates & Gear”