Where to buy / What to buy / Wheels / Protective gear
Black Thorn
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 999
Team: BRD A & DOA

plate advice

Postby Black Thorn » 29 Aug 2012, 16:29

I am upgrading my skates in the next few months, my 265’s are too wide which means my feet slide around and doing anything more than about 10 laps gives me really bad cramp, and the DynaPro plate they came with is way too heavy.

I like riedell boots so am probably going to get the 495 or something similar (if you have this boot I may grab you at some point for your opinion/to try them on), but what I am stuck on is the plate.

I was initially looking at the reactor and revenge plates, but have read various things on the interweb that suggests PowerDyne plates are not the way to go (expensive, tendency to break), and that the Suregrip Avenger plates are a better product. I also think the white magnesium ones are really pretty, but experience tells me not to base important decisions on aesthetics alone :D !

Anyone skate on the reactor, revenge or avenger plates able to give some feedback? I am looking for a plate that is durable, lightweight and with good agility/manoeuvrability. What about roll line plates? Do these only come with 7mm axles? I don’t really want to buy all new bearings!

Thanks.

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 301 (was g33k)
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Re: plate advice

Postby Chick Dastardly » 29 Aug 2012, 17:05

i'm about to buy the avenger plates (aluminium not magnesium, EDIT: cos I don't think it's worth the extra money) and putting them on my normal boots (money issues, no new boots yet).

I found these links helpful cos I want to go with a shorter wheelbase (I currently have a standard mount, but I want a sports/agility mount on the new plates):
http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/sho ... stcount=64
http://blog.timesunion.com/rollerderby/ ... ates/3964/

dunno if this helps you any

EDIT: i believe the good agility/manoeuvrability will come down to your wheel base (see first link) and also the degree of the kingpin (45 degree is more responsive to your foot movement apparently )

Adele Linquent
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 0o
Team: Daughters Of Anarchy and Harlots

Postby Adele Linquent » 29 Aug 2012, 17:20

I skate on Revenge plates. I heard about them on various posts, blogs, forums and podcasts and people were saying they were the best plates and far cheaper than equivalent quality plates, even in their own make. People said the 15 degree angle is just right too.
Lastly, I got some advice from the skate shop lady, up in Portland, when I went there (home of Rose City and the shop owner that White Flight trusts for her own gear) and she recommended the Revenge too.

Myself, I don't have experience to be able to compare and give personal opinion. All I can say is that I love my skates as they are. I didn't like the wheels they came with but all the rest is perfect for me, I feel agile, in control, safe. A lot of it must be the plate since it wasn't the wheels and it's not the boot giving this result all by itself because a boot is... just a shoe after all. :smile:

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 48
Team: Cheering Squad

Postby da silva surfer » 29 Aug 2012, 17:31

Pitchit has done a review of skate packages on derby deeds, he tried different skates and plate combos (no roll line or avenger though but you could ask Delta about roll lines and Blizz about the avenger).

He said the same as Del above about the revenge and the 15 degree kingpin.

This is the summary of the 4 reviews:
1:02:00 – Week 5 of the Derby Supply Gear Review with Pitchit
http://derbydeeds.com/2012/07/ddp_ep117/

x

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja

Postby Chick Dastardly » 29 Aug 2012, 17:33

Adele Linquent wrote: because a boot is... just a shoe after all. :smile:

I'm going to try out the plates on some footie boots before I spend money on some derby boots :)

Acid Drop
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Team: Team Zebra!

Postby Acid Drop » 29 Aug 2012, 20:28

I have the Revenge plate on my Antiks... I love it. It is waaaay for responsive than the Tritons that I had on my old skates and lighter too.

Have a look on Skatelog forum too... there is plenty of discussion of the pros and cons of different plates.

Sid x

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p
Team: Smash Vandals

Postby Goldie Lookin Pain » 30 Aug 2012, 17:53

i used to have the Reactor plate on my original 195's that i had to sell because i got misadvised on size and they ended up a whole size too big... i then bought a 2nd hand pair of 195's but they had the dynapro plate on them. the initial plan was to swap the plates but cos of the boot sizing difference it meant they were different size plates.. :(

Anyone i flippin loved the reactor plates and found them really light and responsive and great for laterals... i really want some but unfortunately i have money issues at present and looking to move so maybe santa will be nice to me...

PS i had the same problem in the 265's and they killed my legs and feet.

Adele Linquent
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 0o
Team: Daughters Of Anarchy and Harlots

Postby Adele Linquent » 30 Aug 2012, 18:09

Goldie, if it helps with money, what I understand from various reviews is that you would get similar-ish quality and feel with the Revenge plate for a fair few pounds cheaper. The only real big difference is the kingpin angle, but then, a lot of Derby skaters actually prefer the 15° angle of the Revenge over the 10° of the Reactor... But ultimately, it's what works for you.
Have you tried a Revenge on somebody else's boot? I don't know if it would fit what you would be after, but it's worth trying since it's cheaper.

Black Thorn
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 999
Team: BRD A & DOA

Postby Black Thorn » 30 Aug 2012, 20:13

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I have narrowed it down to either the revenge or the avenger (I can't really justify the expense of the reactor, and the revenge sounds like a good choice from your feedback). The avenger is cheaper (even the magnesium version) and I have read great reviews, but I am inclined to go with opinions from people I know and trust.....

Chick, do you know anybody who skates on the avenger? Also, do you have any concerns about heel stability with a short, forward mount? I was pretty sure this is what I wanted but am having doubts the more I read, especially as John from everglides (whose advise I have always found to be good and whose opinion I respect) has said that in his experience people prefer the standard mount.  I'd love the increased agility, but don't want to suddenly start falling over more, especially backwards!  

Skatey Bo Baity
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 42

Postby Skatey Bo Baity » 30 Aug 2012, 21:20

I reckon that if it ain't broke - don't fix it. If you currently don't feel like you're suffering from not being very agile, then stick to a standard mount. If you do feel like you need to try something to try and increase your agility - then go for a short forward.

There's a bunch of stuff I don't know about this though. Like if you mount your plate to your boot one way, can you mount it in a different place if you don't like it or is it a 'once mounted, that's it' dealio? And if you go for an avenger plate - only a size smaller rather than 2 sizes and forward mount it, will that be a nice medium between agility and stability? Or will it just not work?

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja

Postby Chick Dastardly » 30 Aug 2012, 22:26

Black Thorn wrote:Chick, do you know anybody who skates on the avenger? Also, do you have any concerns about heel stability with a short, forward mount? I was pretty sure this is what I wanted but am having doubts the more I read, especially as John from everglides (whose advise I have always found to be good and whose opinion I respect) has said that in his experience people prefer the standard mount.  I'd love the increased agility, but don't want to suddenly start falling over more, especially backwards!  

Blizz has the same plates (mg avenger) that I'm planning to get and really likes them.

I'm not getting short forward (I also don't think it's the right mount [for me anyway]) but I'm not worried about stability with a sports mount (same wheelbase length as short forward, except it's not forward). I just want to have my wheels under the points of my feet that I pivot on when not on wheels, it's seems more natural! I'm happy to give up a bit of stability for a little bit of help with agility.

I expect I will have to change my skating style a little bit, but am not fussed. Worth a go!
As I'm not changing the boot it will be interesting to see exactly what changes I feel (seeing as the only variable change will be the plate). Will find out on Wednesday! :)

Ruby Whipper
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 78
Team: project mayhem/ Harlots A

Postby Ruby Whipper » 31 Aug 2012, 14:26

I skate on 495's and am a size 5 if you want to try them? I think I have a revenge plate on them not sure if it's that or the reactor, whichever is the cheaper one as I read a review that said there isn't much difference in them, I'll see if I can locate the article, Tess sent it to me forever ago x

Ruby Whipper
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 78
Team: project mayhem/ Harlots A

Postby Ruby Whipper » 31 Aug 2012, 14:30

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p

Postby Goldie Lookin Pain » 01 Sep 2012, 14:53

Please can i try yours Ruby for when i have money for new plates? xx

Hellbound Kitty
Youngling
Youngling
Skater Number: 696
Team: Project Mayhem

Postby Hellbound Kitty » 13 Sep 2012, 22:50

Just seen this on Ebay if anyone is looking for new plates! States size 5-6 so unfortunately too big for me! It's got just over 1 day left and at a cheap price!!
x x

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roller-skate- ... _500wt_949

Return to “Skates & Gear”