Where to buy / What to buy / Wheels / Protective gear
E-Z Roller
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 24k
Team: Daughters of Anarchy and A-team

Postby E-Z Roller » 19 Nov 2010, 19:12

I need some advice please...

Only been coming on Sundays for 2 weeks, but really loving it! I borrowed some R3's the first time, then the second time I used some of the hire skates and REALLY noticed the difference. I was really confident on the R3's and fell all over the place on the hire ones.

I'm super skint at the moment but want get the most out the sessions. Do you guys think I should wait and get something decent, (probably not till after the new year). Or get something cheap like Rio Rollers (at least they have ABEC 5 bearings apparently).

Or maybe something like these coz I have small feet and can fit kids skates http://www.rollersnakes.co.uk/product.php?productid=100134&cat=8030&page=1&Sfr%20Vision%20Junior%20Quads%20Blue

What i would really like is these http://www.skates.com/Sure-Grip-Rebel-Fugitive-Yellow-Boot-p/sgrbk-fug-yel.htm but i think I'm getting ahead of my self there...

Hope you have some advice, sorry for all the questions!

Ez x

Yarn Bomber
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: B-52
Team: Project Mayhem

Postby Yarn Bomber » 19 Nov 2010, 19:58

Ooh, skate lust for the sure-grips!

If you are thinking of sticking around for the long haul, buy the most expensive you can afford to start with (within reason). R3's are a great starter skate which is also suitable for bouting in :)

If you are thinking of giving it a go for a bit, but unsure if you want to stick around, any beginner skate is good, though ironically, avoid the ones brand named 'roller derby' as they aren't suitable!

I went for Riedell She-Devils due to the aly trucks, as I know I'm hard on corners and wear my wheels down fast too. :)

E-Z Roller
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby E-Z Roller » 19 Nov 2010, 20:19

Well I like it so far and I'm not quitter lol i'll have to see what I can scrape together...

No crimbo pressies for my family this year ;-) thanks

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p
Team: Smash Vandals

Postby Goldie Lookin Pain » 19 Nov 2010, 22:15

yeah i also agree with Bomber, go for the best you can afford even if it means saving up for a bit. I started on R3's and loved them, Venus has them now and given them a good home as ive upgraded to the Riedell Vandals.

The more comfortable you are the quicker you will get better!

Also skates like the R3's and suregrips retain their value so even if you do splash out and then decide you dont wanna do it any longer you can sell them on for a good price!

Goldie xxx

E-Z Roller
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby E-Z Roller » 19 Nov 2010, 23:03

Yeah I guess there's no point spendin money you could put towards a good pair on a rubbish pair.

Thanx ladies

Nitrate Nord
Youngling
Youngling

Postby Nitrate Nord » 20 Nov 2010, 08:46

I got Rio Rollers as wasn't sure whether I was gonna stick with RD (well, I'm gonna as I love it!). I had to buy indoor wheels for them though as they come with outdoor ones (got mine with bearings from Rollermania for around £40). I've been pleased with the wheels and the Rio Roller boots will do their job. So I suppose you can get decent skates on decent price. I still do have my eye on R3 though :)

E-Z Roller
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby E-Z Roller » 20 Nov 2010, 10:11

eeek confused again now lol! I think I'm just really impatient... I want it all now now now! AND really indecisive! Thanks for the opinions x

Lil
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 22
Team: Zebra

Postby Lil » 22 Nov 2010, 10:45

I'd save up. As you improve you'll be pushing your skates harder. Check what wheels/bearings/etc they come with as with more expensive ones you're more likely to be able to use the whole package rather than buy a cheap boot and have to shell out extra £££ for wheels/bearings/etc. Having said that you will be able to swap out the wheels/bearings onto any boot anyway so you might think about investing in those, just be sure you know how much you will have to spend on the first lot as you don't want to be disappointed.

Sorry if I just confused you even more!

E-Z Roller
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby E-Z Roller » 22 Nov 2010, 12:44

no no its all great advice thanks! I'm deffo gonna bite the bullet and get something decent this week though. Dig deep! x

E-Z Roller
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby E-Z Roller » 22 Nov 2010, 17:29

ok one more question... I'm thinking of getting suregrip boxers from rollermania (£99.99 with free outdoor wheels) has anyone got/had/tried these?

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Postby the Blizzard » 22 Nov 2010, 18:54

I wanted them, tried on a pair but they did not have my size. I'd say they'd be a good buy.

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 301 (was g33k)
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Chick Dastardly » 22 Nov 2010, 21:50

i found them a bit wide (I have v thin feet) so ended up getting the r3's which are a better fit for me. James (Skate Bristol) is currently selling r3s for £99 i think???? Pop him a message for more details

Adele Linquent
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 0o
Team: Daughters Of Anarchy and Harlots

Postby Adele Linquent » 22 Nov 2010, 21:59

Here are some of the stuff he's got, but I think he may have even more than this:

http://www.skatebristol.co.uk/OurPhotoAlbum.html

I like the fact that it says on the website he'll give a discount to the Bristol Harbour Harlots exactly in these words. Ain't he the best, our James? (^_^)

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 301 (was g33k)
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Chick Dastardly » 22 Nov 2010, 22:04

what a dude :)

E-Z Roller
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby E-Z Roller » 22 Nov 2010, 22:18

I might pop down there tomorrow and see if they have my size. I have small but wide feet (a bit like flippers!) eek exciting!

Return to “Skates & Gear”