BRD Public Forum
Where to buy / What to buy / Wheels / Protective gear
tattooed-terror
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 13
Team: 9 month injury

Postby tattooed-terror » 15 Jan 2011, 09:56

Nice one Brawl :) I think they will help you massively :) You will be flying round the track in no time :D

Terror x x

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 183
Team: Team Zebra and Vice Quad

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 15 Jan 2011, 10:54

With your help Terror, I'm sure I will!

Ruby Soho
Youngling
Youngling

Postby Ruby Soho » 15 Jan 2011, 18:04

Just sold my roller derby vipers (as apparently they aren't so great if you're heavy,) and am looking to buy either some R3's or Diablos next week but was pretty disappointed to see James at skate Bristol isn't offering a discount anymore when you message him, jut the same prices as the website :-(

Anyone have the Diablos? I have massive problems with my feet cramping when I skate to the point where I have to stop and think it's because I need more arch support and padding. The Diablos look very much like they might be the ideal setup.

Any advice welcome :-)

Lil
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 22
Team: Zebra

Postby Lil » 16 Jan 2011, 11:03

My feet cramp sometimes when I skate too, sadly I don't have much to offer in the way of advice... hopefully it will get better when I get my new skates (apparently arriving mid Jan, so hopefully any day now).

The one thing I do find is that my feet cramp when I get a shock e.g. suddenly fall over, I suppose all my muscles just tense. Of course you're more tense when you're less confident anyway. When I first started I used to cramp all the time (I think I would scrunch up my toes which obviously didn't help) and now it's just every so often. So maybe bear that in mind and try to wiggle your toes, keep your feet relaxed, and be aware if any part of your body is going tense (fingers, arms, jaw) to try and relax.

Adele Linquent
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 0o
Team: Daughters Of Anarchy and Harlots

Postby Adele Linquent » 16 Jan 2011, 13:09

I think Sim's skates are diablo. You can PM her to ask.

Cherry Sour
Youngling
Youngling
Skater Number: 31
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Cherry Sour » 16 Jan 2011, 15:13

Does anyone have any advice on upgrading wheels? I'm currently skating in a pair of Rios, which obviously aren't that fast. I can't afford to upgrade to R3s until mid-summer, so I was contemplating getting some new indoor wheels for them.

Any suggestions on which ones would be the best?

Also, when looking on the Rollermania website I've seen a pair of Roces Derby skates for £50 – I know they're not going to be great skates at that price, but would they be a better bet than upgrading the wheels on my Rios, given that they look to have a lower-cut boot?

Ta!

Ruby Soho
Youngling
Youngling

Postby Ruby Soho » 16 Jan 2011, 21:09

That's probably true about the cramp and being tense, shame you can't really skate after a few pints, guess it's a case of trying to relax and skating through it, thanks Lil. And I'll most probably go for the Diablos I reckon. Thanks for the advice :-)

Lil
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 22
Team: Zebra

Postby Lil » 16 Jan 2011, 22:43

Ha - you could skate after a couple, probably wouldn't do much for your balance though! You win some, you lose some...

Jam Tart
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 4149
Team: Smash Vandals

Postby Jam Tart » 17 Jan 2011, 01:41

ST......Sometimes I think cramping/numbness can be if your skates are done up too tight....I found on e I loosened my laces a little around the toes it didn't happen so much....might be talking rubbish but it helped me!

Wonton Destruction
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 8
Team: Alpha Beta Slammers

Postby Wonton Destruction » 17 Jan 2011, 09:11

Cherry, the Roces come with outdoor wheels I think so not really much point if you want to upgrade. Your Rio skates are a good durable boot for now. If you want to try out different wheels, most of our skaters have more than one set of wheels so start there ^_^

Devine Retribution
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 235
Team: Project Mayhem

Postby Devine Retribution » 17 Jan 2011, 09:12

cherry i had roces - there are a pair in hire now as i have new ones! they did me fine but you will need indoor wheels if you get them anyway! i would wait and save up rather than going in 3 steps as with the indoor wheels my roces only came about 20 quid short of the R3's anyway!

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p

Postby Goldie Lookin Pain » 17 Jan 2011, 13:16

Cherry, you can have my old radar ones from my vandals for free if you want including the bearings... they are only a few months old, its just ive upgaded. Then you can save your pennies for new skates instead of buying wheels. xx

Cherry Sour
Youngling
Youngling
Skater Number: 31
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Cherry Sour » 17 Jan 2011, 15:32

That would be fab, thanks Goldie – if that's okay with you?!

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p

Postby Goldie Lookin Pain » 17 Jan 2011, 18:11

yeah sure! i already have spares (got more wheels than shoes these days!) i'll bring them sun for you unless your desperate then i work in town all week so can meet you! x

La Bicha
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 62
Team: Smash Vandals!! The greytest team!

Postby La Bicha » 17 Jan 2011, 20:44

I was actually quite interested in hearing some advice on names/hardness, as I myself have to get stickier but not fatally slowing down wheels and don't know where to start. :)

I'm sure it's been said before in this forum, but I can't find the thread... Is any of you having a bliss moment with their new wheels that want to recommend them to me?

x

Return to “Skates & Gear”