BRD Public Forum
Where to buy / What to buy / Wheels / Protective gear
E-Z Roller
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 24k
Team: Daughters of Anarchy and A-team

Postby E-Z Roller » 23 Nov 2010, 20:57

yey! i am currently rolling round my living room in my new skates, managed to get Boxers and free outdoor wheels for £85 from Rollermania, thanks to my small feet (they have an older metal plate/trucks bit and they only had size 3 left in them).

They were very helpful, but not so when I took the first pair back coz I noticed the boot was coming away from the sole a bit. They begrudgingly swapped it, but told me I should have paid £100! AND now one of the plates is a tiny bit different to the other coz they swapped one not the whole pair, but I refused (am too scared) to go back again! lol this skate buying has been a bit stressful, but I can't wait to try them properly, thanks for all the tips!

Ez

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 301 (was g33k)
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Chick Dastardly » 23 Nov 2010, 21:02

hmmmmmmmmmm.... they are not making good business decisions by doing that to a harlot! They should have swapped both, though hopefully it won't make a difference.

Are you coming on Sunday (or tomorrow to help with NSO stuff.. hint hint ;p )?

E-Z Roller
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 24k
Team: Daughters of Anarchy and A-team

Postby E-Z Roller » 23 Nov 2010, 22:29

yeah I'll pop down tomorrow to help, don't live very far away, and i can try my skates out in the warm up yeah?

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja

Postby Chick Dastardly » 23 Nov 2010, 22:36

yep though if you're unsteady try and keep to the outside to let the more advanced skaters through :)

Devine Retribution
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 235
Team: Project Mayhem

Postby Devine Retribution » 25 Nov 2010, 09:29

that sounds strange, they are normally v nice! aggreed with chick they better be careful or they will loose alot of business!

FlorenceLightningale
Youngling
Youngling
Skater Number: 89

Postby FlorenceLightningale » 27 Nov 2010, 19:20

I just bought some R3s today...am very excited they feel so nice, have been skating around the kitchen for the past hour and they definetly seem worth the money! Cant wait to try them out properly tommorow!

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 183
Team: Team Zebra and Vice Quad

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 04 Dec 2010, 16:07

Can I ask, where are people buying their skates? As some may know, I've been having trouble getting a pair of R3s that don't have wonky trucks. I've had two pairs from kickflipboards.com and now getting a refund, but I'm a bit wary about getting any more R3s in case they have the same problem. Any suggestions?

Also, has anyone else had truck problems that sorted itself out through practice? I'm just worried that I've sent back two pairs of skates with wonky trucks that would have been fine after a bit of use.

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p
Team: Smash Vandals

Postby Goldie Lookin Pain » 04 Dec 2010, 16:24

Skate attack are really good and helpful and also everglides.

http://www.skateattack.co.uk/

and

http://www.everglides.co.uk/

Both are really knowledgeable about derby/skates etc so they should be about to give you some advice over the phone too if you have a query!

Goldie xx

Wonton Destruction
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 8
Team: Alpha Beta Slammers

Postby Wonton Destruction » 04 Dec 2010, 17:45

Hey Brawl, how are they wonky? Trucks should have a bit of movement to allow for steering, so it may be a case of loosening or tightening them. Also, nylon plates are not as durable as aluminium plates so I'm not sure if your size is an issue.

I've heard good things about Sunlite nylon plates, though, which are guaranteed for life and come in lots of colours! Very light but as durable as middle range aluminium plates.

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 05 Dec 2010, 18:52

Well, both pairs of skates I had trucks on one skate that pointed to the left. I tried loosening them and leaning on them to try and make them straighten up, but it wasn't happening. Who'd have thought buying skates would be so much hassle eh? :s

Myra Spindley
Youngling
Youngling
Skater Number: 587
Team: Fresh Meat

Postby Myra Spindley » 06 Dec 2010, 13:29

Does skate bristol have a shop or is it only online? Also if im a uk 6 do i need to go a size up for R3s?

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja

Postby Chick Dastardly » 06 Dec 2010, 13:37

i'm a uk 6 so yes I bought a size 7 r3s as they're US sizes. they are quite narrow though so it's worth trying before you buy, would you like to try mine out to see if they fit you?

skate bristol is james who does the roller hockey, best to message him via facebook or it's skatebristol [at] gmail.com

Myra Spindley
Youngling
Youngling
Skater Number: 587
Team: Fresh Meat

Postby Myra Spindley » 06 Dec 2010, 14:26

Thanks hun,

Will pop him over a message.

Im not far from rollermania so may be able to pop in there to try them then order them from James as hes had nothing but lovely feedback on here.

Really looking forward to seeing you all in action at the bout!xx

droctagon
Youngling
Youngling

Postby droctagon » 10 Dec 2010, 21:06

I agree with the save up if you are in for the long haul opinion - quality of all the components boot/plate/truck/wheels makes all the difference. I personally don't think that there is much difference between expensive bearings compared to mid-range bearings though - just the condition/how clean they is more important.

I would exercise caution buying from Rollermania - i have spoken to other people saying they have had problems taking stuff back - including myself. They refused to give me a refund/replacement for faulty wheels. Personally - I'll never go back.

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 15 Jan 2011, 01:04

New skates have been ordered! Woot! Months of research and procrastination have culminated in my ultimate purchase of some brand new skates! Let's just hope they fit well enough and I can skate in them! :P

Return to “Skates & Gear”