Where to buy / What to buy / Wheels / Protective gear
Black Thorn
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 999
Team: BRD A & DOA

toe stops

Postby Black Thorn » 10 Feb 2015, 13:03

Talk to me about toe stops! I have only ever had gumballs and my current set are down to the metal. There seems to be a trend towards (what look to be) giant toestops, and a lot of people have the crazy bounce ones. What toe stops do you have, and would you recommend them?

Tilly Latimer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 12
Team: BRD A Team

Re: toe stops

Postby Tilly Latimer » 10 Feb 2015, 13:12

I have the bionics. I like them better than the gumballs - they are more stable and they don't wear down as fast. You do have to have them super-tight because if they twist, the angle on them means you can't balance on them. I have to torque mine using an allen key through the end of a spanner. Double threat just did a video recently on the different types of toe stops.

Raven Lunatic
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 85
Team: A Team

Postby Raven Lunatic » 10 Feb 2015, 13:26

I have been through a couple of sets of Crazy Bounce - literally! These were the ones that sheared of mid Brighton game. I am pretty heavy on my toe stops but this has happened with two sets so I wouldn't buy them again.

I have been using the Bionics and they've been great. Really sturdy and strong with lots of support.

EDIT: Just remembered a vital bit of information - my new plates came with the Bionics but I actually changed them for the Crazy Big Bloc stop, which've been great. Really sturdy and strong with lots of support :?
Last edited by Raven Lunatic on 10 Feb 2015, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 48
Team: Cheering Squad

Postby da silva surfer » 10 Feb 2015, 13:37

+1 for the bionics I have the grey ones and the new white big foot ones:
http://www.devaskation.com/Bionic-Bigfoot-Stoppers

They are both quite long lasting, the white ones are even grippier than the grey ones, stopping really quick (also great for running up ramps at the skate park ;))

Down side of the above white ones is they have to be really tight, as they are not round, if they turn around mid play they might rub on your wheels and stop you rolling.

I also like the Moonwalkers, although smaller they were really bouncy, they probably lasted as long as the gum balls.

All the above ones are lighter than Gumballs which is nice :) (and all non marking)

I think the roll line toes stops are supposed to be good too but never tried them x

Rip Tease
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 18+
Team: DOA & Bristol Bees

Postby Rip Tease » 10 Feb 2015, 13:55

Funnily enough I had this conversation on Saturday with Terrance (Chronick) from Skate Alley. He highly recommends Sure Grip Shock Stop:

http://skatealley.co.uk/collections/toestops/products/suregrip-shock-stop

He says the are really really durable and responsive. But Chantelle added said they don't work with Avenger plates as the angle is wrong.

Chantelle prefers the Crazy Big Bloc top stops - I think I'm gonna go for those next:

http://skatealley.co.uk/collections/toestops/products/crazy-big-bloc-toe-stops

Delta Strike
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 4X

Postby Delta Strike » 10 Feb 2015, 14:02

So when I got my new plate I also got roll line toe stops as I previously had them when I had a roll line plate and preferred them to gumballs. However since I also got the bionic toe stop with my new plate I tried them out too and have fallen in love with them so another recommendation from me!

As I'm not using my roll lines you are welcome to try them out if you like (as they are still good and are bouncier than bionics if thats what you are after) or my bionics if you are going a Monday practice since I can't make those sessions right now.

Delta x

Rip Tease
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 18+
Team: DOA & Bristol Bees

Postby Rip Tease » 10 Feb 2015, 14:06

Delta I'd love to borrow your bionics one Monday if possible?

Delta Strike
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 4X

Postby Delta Strike » 10 Feb 2015, 14:19

Sure, grab them off me on a Sunday after scrimmage.

Delta x

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 48
Team: Cheering Squad

Postby da silva surfer » 11 Feb 2015, 09:31

Here's a review on those big foot toe stops I have, if anyone wants to try them let me know:

http://rollerderbytraining.co.uk/2015/0 ... toe-stops/

Return to “Skates & Gear”