Forum rules
BRD Public Forum
Where to buy / What to buy / Wheels / Protective gear
Delta Strike
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 4X

Postby Delta Strike » 19 Jan 2011, 12:38

Hey just wanted share some links that I thought were very useful when understand the difference between wheels.

http://derbygirls.wordpress.com/tag/sin-city-skates/

http://wftda.com/sponsors/atom-wheels

http://www.atomwheels.com/Quad/wheelspread.html

They really helped me at least!

xxx

Knuckle Dust Her
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 888
Team: DOA

Postby Knuckle Dust Her » 19 Jan 2011, 14:49

Haha I was discussing with the OH last night how I havent got a clue when it comes to wheels :) So thanks for the links.

Lucy x

Tequila Jammer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 55abv
Team: Smash Vandals

Postby Tequila Jammer » 19 Jan 2011, 18:18

Hmm apparently the wheels i have a suitable for a jammer.....any jammers wanna swap wheels with me? I have zodiacs, but they are too narrow for me i think...

Adele Linquent
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 0o
Team: Daughters Of Anarchy and Harlots

Postby Adele Linquent » 19 Jan 2011, 20:52

Have you got 93 or 96 Zodiac?

If they're 93, I'd definitely like to try them, if that's OK.

...although... when would that be?... (;_;) I hope I'll be back skating soon.

Tequila Jammer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Tequila Jammer » 20 Jan 2011, 19:19

um let me go check....

Tequila Jammer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Tequila Jammer » 20 Jan 2011, 19:22

um i think they might be 91A, still wanna try?x

Adele Linquent
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 0o
Team: Daughters Of Anarchy and Harlots

Postby Adele Linquent » 20 Jan 2011, 20:53

Yeah sure! I just don't know when though... Maybe if I go real slow and careful, I can give it a go next week on Friday night and it'll be enough to get an idea...

If someone else is up for your offer, please go for it, because I can't guarantee anything with Mr. Dodgyknee and all.

Tequila Jammer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Tequila Jammer » 21 Jan 2011, 07:51

ok lets wait til next friday then xx

La Bicha
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 62
Team: Smash Vandals!! The greytest team!

Postby La Bicha » 22 Jan 2011, 15:32

Aw thanks, Delta!!!

xxx

Knuckle Dust Her
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Knuckle Dust Her » 23 Jan 2011, 20:39

Im getting such a headache trying to work out which wheels i should get! There's too many :) Looking at all the links it would seem i would be suited to a 93-97A (Heavyweight) as i would prefer to be a blocker 59mm with a wide width?

Im currently skating on the wheels that came with my R3s (Cayman Radar) I dont really want to shoot up and get super fast wheels because im sure I would be like Bambi all over again :)

What do you think does that sound about right? Any tips?

I havent even started looking at bearings and have read something about spacers!!!

Lucy x

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 48
Team: Cheering Squad

Postby da silva surfer » 23 Jan 2011, 21:13

hey lucy knuckles ;)

Those ratings I think are specific to atom wheels and seem to vary depending on brands (so 93 in atom might not be as hard/soft as radars).

I know its hard to figure out cause there are so many factors: hardness, width, floors, weight...colour!

I just got atoms and am finding them to be a much better wheel than the radar tuners I had originally. But I was lucky to try some out first after reading n-forums about the subject.

I would try to narrow it down to a few wheels that you think would suit, see if anyone is using them and pester them about it.

I know that fugitive seem to be really popular with alot of the girls too so might be easier to ask someone to let you have a go.

http://www.suregrip.com/wheels/fugitive.html

I ended up going with the same setup as wonton and terror as i have a similar build to them and they seemed really pleased with them so poisons and stingers for me too :)

I also just got new bones reds bearings which are affordable and my wheels are spinnin like crazy! I have no spacers, I think the need for them may vary on the wheel (skateboard wheels seem to normally need them). But I am really not sure on that one.

Anywhoo, I am sure you must of already read the thread on our forum about this, I seem to go back to it often:

http://www.bristolrollerderby.com/forum/topic.php?id=137#post-2277

Hope you find the right ones.

x

Frau POW!
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 28
Team: Smash Vandals, Harbour Harlots

Postby Frau POW! » 23 Jan 2011, 22:51

Hey Lucy,

I've also got R3's with Cayman wheels. I've had them since October and have had no problems with them whatsoever. I will get some different wheels eventually, but while we're all still getting to grips with derby basics, I don't think it matters too much. Personnally I think it's best to invest in new wheels once I've been skating for quite a bit longer in order to really notice the difference and get the most out the wheels.

x

Bi-furious
Padawan
Padawan

Postby Bi-furious » 23 Jan 2011, 23:07

I think slim wheels are best left to really confident skaters who are looking for a bit more agility and don't rely on the width to provide stability (such as Del, when her knee isn't playing up - boooo!). If you're relatively new I'd stick with regular width/diameter for the stability/speed. And a stickier wheel. I second Atoms being a far better wheel (I swear I should get commission from them). I have Poisons which are nice and grippy. Stingers are the next up. Atoms feel harder than other wheels to me..their 84a feels like an 88a radar/suregrip, but less clunkly and with better roll(also lighter, though some people don't like that).

x

Natty Dread
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 1/8
Team: Refs

Postby Natty Dread » 24 Jan 2011, 00:06

As ever, Furious the wheel legend!

Knuckle Dust Her
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Knuckle Dust Her » 24 Jan 2011, 10:57

Hey,

Thanks for the replies :) Im not getting them anytime soon have to start a wheel fund :) Just started to look around at what was out there and what sort i would need. Just trying to get to grips with all the different types. I had no idea there were so many factors to take into account!

Thanks lucy x

Return to “Skates & Gear”