Where to buy / What to buy / Wheels / Protective gear
the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Re: Wheel information

Postby the Blizzard » 15 Sep 2011, 13:26

A few words about wheels I've recently tried :-)

I borrowed Bella's old Riedell R3 skates yesterday and they had Radar Flat-Out 88A wheels on. They just did not work for me! I've been getting faster in speed tests but when we did our 10-lap times yesterday, I was actually 3 seconds slower than 5 months ago. The wheels were kind of slippery but slow. I could not get my usual long strides in and the wheels made my skating motion short and stompy. It was quite weird as I did not think that wheels can make such a difference!

The previous session I used Brooke's R3 skates (from the kit :-) that had the standard Cayman 97A? wheels on. I quite liked them! They were slightly slippy but nice to skate on. I could adjust to the slippiness and it actually helped with the hockey stops we were practising that night.

My usual wheels are Tuner reds 92A

Mortabella Bam
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 667
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Mortabella Bam » 15 Sep 2011, 19:29

Blizz, i think we have the same wheels - radar tuner red 92A - how did the caymans compare to them? i only have my tuners as a reference point at the moment. i feel they are quite wide - have you experienced slimmer wheels that are better? do you think the radars we have are too wide for jamming? i kind of like the width for ploughing and long strides for going fast...

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja

Postby the Blizzard » 15 Sep 2011, 21:14

If you can skate with the Tuners fine, you'll be fine jamming in them. It's about skating style and personal preference I think. Try some harder&faster wheels Bam that are wide. If you suffer from clipping your wheels together, you might want to try narrower ones. I get that sometimes. From narrow wheels, I've tried Jukes which I really liked (on my wish list!), and Fugitive Mids which I can't say much... did not notice that much difference. Maybe slightly less balance, wobblier?

The Caymans many hate as they're hard and slippy, but they weren't as bad as I thought. They were slippier but felt much much faster. They made me hop about a little more (good) but when skating round the track I was still able to do long strides, although I had to concentrate a bit more to stop slipping. They made the front of my calf sore but people commented that this was likely because the wheels were different to what I was used to - slippier - and so I had to modify my style a bit and grip with my feet. The pain went away when I got used to them. They weren't bad but I won't be buying them! :lol:

How about this review... http://www.queenoftherink.com/gear/wheels/radar-cayman/
These wheels come free with Riedell’s R3 skate package and as far as a first time skater goes these wheels work just fine for the first couple of practices. After that they should be tossed in the garbage.

You can get a BRAND NEW pack of 4 wheels on eBay for $5.00, that kind of tells you how crappy they are

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 183
Team: Team Zebra and Vice Quad

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 16 Sep 2011, 08:12

Wierd that you found the flat outs slippery. At 88A, I would have thought they'd grip like crazy. Are you sure the crap on the Withywood floor didn't stick to the wheels, lessening the grip?

I would have thought the harder wheels would have suited heavier skaters such as myself and I remember people complaining about the caymans being too hard (95A) and slippery. I'm using Devine's old Demons (95A or 96A, depending on which website you read), and they're working out fine for me in Withywood, even with the bald spots! In Kingswood, they're WAY too slippery.

Each to their own I guess. :geek:

Lil
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 22
Team: Zebra

Postby Lil » 16 Sep 2011, 21:27

Definitely each to their own - god knows I'm a skinny gal but I'm looking for some super hard wheels! I actually like the slick feeling :P If I am right in what I want, I will be just a blur streaking past! If not, you'll see me face-down in a heap off the outside of corner 2...

Pain by Numbers
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 123

Postby Pain by Numbers » 21 Sep 2011, 22:33

I'm SO confused about what I need out of my wheels.
Sometimes I think my wheels are perfect for me, but that's just because they're what I'm used to.

And since our FM group haven't really started scrimmaging I have no idea which position I'm going to be playing and/or good at.

I'm using the wheels that came with my skates: 62mm 92A Fugitves
I feel like I need to upgarde I don't know where to start!

Adele Linquent
Yoda
Yoda
Skater Number: 0o
Team: Daughters Of Anarchy and Harlots

Postby Adele Linquent » 21 Sep 2011, 23:23

I've had the same Fugitives as you for a long while now and I really like them if it wasn't for the width. I find they roll just right and they grip just right.
However, I keep tripping (myself and others) and I will change wheels now for narrower ones, that's pretty much the only reason I'm changing.
Narrow wheels are less stable, but I think I'm OK with stability now (says she who keeps falling totally randomly --> my falls are mostly backwards, OK? Not sideways :mrgreen: ). Maybe you want to wait til you're really confident in corners and upgrade for narrow wheels.

But then again, you can buy wheels whenever you want, eh! :) I'm not a huge shopper in gear and I'm only replacing my first skates now for example, so I'm not the most experienced or wheel-savvy anyway. :D

Pain by Numbers
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 123

Postby Pain by Numbers » 21 Sep 2011, 23:34

Thanks Del! That was actually really helpful.
Maybe I'm just being silly.. feeling like I need to upgrade just for the sake of buying new wheels!
I guess if my wheels feel right for me right now I should just stick with them until I can actually think of a reason to replace them :)

Frau POW!
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 28
Team: Smash Vandals, Harbour Harlots

Postby Frau POW! » 21 Sep 2011, 23:35

Pain, I wouldn't worry about the wheels just yet, especially if you're comfortable with what you've got. Fugitives are pretty decent anyway. Once you're scrimmaging more often you'll be able to figure out more easily whether your wheels still work for you.

Katie Clysmic
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 26
Team: Daughters of Anarchy/ Harbour Harlots

Postby Katie Clysmic » 22 Sep 2011, 00:28

I also skated on Fugitives for quite a while, and I really like them, apart from the width as Del says. I've switched to Radar Zodiacs (91A) now just because they came with my new skates and were a bit narrower, which I prefer. So I don't think it would hurt to wait a little while longer as there's nothing wrong with the fugitives, and maybe try a few other people's wheels to see what you think.x

Tequila Jammer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 55abv
Team: Smash Vandals

Postby Tequila Jammer » 22 Sep 2011, 08:12

Pain don't worry about wheels and other equipment like that. You will know when you need to upgrade, or switch to something different, because you will start to feel that your current stuff is rubbish for what you want. but until then, no point fixing what aint broke

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja

Postby the Blizzard » 22 Sep 2011, 09:06

I have new wheels now! Juke 2.0 95A+93A :-) Until now I've been skating with the red Tuners 92A that came with my skates. They started feeling a bit bulky and I was clipping my wheels often. I wanted to go narrower. I tried other skaters' different wheels to see what I'd like - Juke 2.0, Fugitive mids (both narrow) and because my skates had to go for repair, I also skated with Caymans and black Fugitives (both wide). My ranking of those wheels:
1. Juke (best set up 95+93, then 93+93, then 93+88)
2. Cayman
3. Fugi Mids
4. Fugi
What can I say? I seem to like hard wheels! A lot of girls go for sticky but I found the both Fugis sluggish and difficult to do any stops with. I like a bit of slidyness for effective hockey stops and for getting my feet up - controlled sliding. Some say that the better skater you become, the harder wheels and looser trucks you want. For me this's been true so far. Some like to go stickier. It's personal preference!

Power Kraut
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 11
Team: ADHD, Harbour Harlots B

Postby Power Kraut » 10 Oct 2011, 18:22

I've been skating on borrowed wheels and found the weight difference surprisingly important - suddenly feels much easier to pick my feet up. I haven't seen the actual weight of wheels anywhere on the web, so I thought I'd record how much the wheels I have weigh here (not including bearings or spacers)!

Fugitive Mids: 99.5g each (796g full set)
Fugitive (regular width): 103g each (812g full set)
Heartless: 84g each (674g full set)
Kryptonics Cruise (cheapo outdoors wheels): 94g (752g full set)

Feel free to add yours, I think it's quite interesting!
Now of course we'd need to figure out the moment of inertia to get a measure of how they accelerate... might need to build me one of these!

Return to “Skates & Gear”