Where to buy / What to buy / Wheels / Protective gear
the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Postby the Blizzard » 02 Aug 2010, 16:24

Hello rollergirls & guys,

Please add you skate reviews to this thread to help newcomers to choose their first skates and present skaters get jealous about your fabulous pair of skates!

Please start your review with clearly stating the MAKE & MODEL (eg. Riedell Vandal 265)

What to put in your review...

- Make & model

- Supplier, approx. cost

- How's the fit? Narrow, wide, soft, blisters?

- Good to skate with? Comparisons to your old skates?

- Quality? Feel? Look?

- Would you recommend?

Power Kraut
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 11
Team: ADHD, Harbour Harlots B

Postby Power Kraut » 03 Aug 2010, 10:36

Ok I'll start this off.

My skates are:

<code><b> Roces Derby </b></code>, elsewhere listed as Roces BWG

Picture: http://www.skatesale.co.uk/media/img/products/18-401-roces-bwg-leather-quad-skate_full.jpg

From Rollermania for £65.

Seem to be described as "leather" in quite a few places but I'm pretty sure mine are synthetic. They come with soft wheels which are probably better suited for outdoor skating, so if you want to use them for Derby you'll eventually have to buy some wheels separately (indoor wheels start at about £35), so the low price is a bit deceptive.

The boot is quite soft and unstructured, and also comes quite a bit larger than normal shoe sizes (get one size smaller at least). This makes it quite comfortable but the fit is not ideal and it can feel a bit loose on the foot. My foot seems to move around in them a bit, although you can make them fit better by tying the ends of the laces around the foot.

I think these are ok skates if you don't want to spend a lot of money, but I'll be upgrading pretty soon!

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p
Team: Smash Vandals

Postby Goldie Lookin Pain » 03 Aug 2010, 17:05

Hello! I have the Riedell R3's

http://www.skateattack.co.uk/riedell-derby-skate-white-p-1134.html

You can also get them in black and roller mania stock them too.

I believe they are vegan too if that helps anyone?

Ive not skated in anything else in derby so not really got anything to compare them too. I find them really comfy and i would say they come up true to size for me as a size 5. However i do have narrow feet and have heard people say they come up narrow so best to check a couple of opionions on that!

For approx £100 i think they are really good value.

The only down side i would say is the stopper which tends to move around a lot and being a weird shape not practical for running toe starts!

When i am a bit richer one day i hope to upgrade to the riedell vandals but i will probably keep these as spares and for outdoor cos kinda fond of them :)

Tuff'n Rumble
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: T-850
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Tuff'n Rumble » 04 Aug 2010, 10:22

Heya

I havent actually bought any derby skates yet, but I tried on some Riedell R3s in Rollermania and had a little skate round the shop in them :) I just wanted to add that I'm 99% sure the ones in there have round stoppers, not the square ones. But they're changeable anyway I guess. Otherwise I found them hugely comfortable, as they're quite padded inside.

TRx

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 301 (was g33k)

Postby Chick Dastardly » 04 Aug 2010, 13:22

I had a look at the Riedell R3s in Rollermania - they come with the wedge toe stops and have a strange size bolt so although you can swap the toe stops the ones that fit are £6.50 compared to the £1 for the basic toe stops.

Having said that, they're still the ones I'm going to get after the weekend (birthday at the weekend = money to buy skates! yay!) as they're comfier than the boxers for me. (having read around the net, people seem to agree that r3s are comfier for narrow feet). But am also going to invest in round toe stops cos running starts are quite fun!

ps - rollermania do a budget deal where they have used the sure grip(?) boxer shoes, but put there own plate and wheels (outdoor) + round toe stop on to make a package that's a bit cheaper. I think they said they were £75. If anyone bought that package it would be really good to have a review here

Mortabella Bam
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 667

Postby Mortabella Bam » 04 Aug 2010, 14:33

HIya,

I started off with the Roller Derby Vipers (approx £50) but have since upgraded to Riedell Vandal 265.

- ot them from Skateattack.co.uk with a 10% derby discount for £202 (postage free) but have just looked on their website and I can't see my skates anymore! (Possibly they have discontinued them?) They were selling them for £225 and said they RRP at £300.

- I'm a uk size 5 (23cm long) but I got the Vandals in a size 4. I do have a little bit of room at the front, not much, but enough. The shop assistant measured the size 5s and thought I would have a bit too much room.

- Quite narrow fit by the arch of the foot but for a girl I have quite wide feet and they feel comfy to me. No blisters yet!

- The trucks are pertty close together (unlike my Roller Derby Vipers) meaning I can get more of my weight through the ball of my foot rather than onto my heal - this has been useful for one foot glides/balance.

- A note about wheels: these skates come with Tuner wheels and I thought I was getting the blue ones (like the picture showed) but I was sent red ones. It's worth checking when you order what wheels they actually have with them as the colours on these Tuner wheels determine the type of firmness. My red ones are 'grip' but still feel pretty quick compared with old skates.

- They came with round toe stops but only because the shop decided this would be better (I didn't request them) and usually they come with square stops. So check this too if you buy these!!

Love the way they look too. Have only skated on them a handful of times but I love them so far. Hope this is useful :)

Tarty McFly
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 1985
Team: Project Mayhem

Postby Tarty McFly » 04 Aug 2010, 20:57

I have the 265's also and really like them. The wheels that came with mine are x-firm for speed but have I find little grip, Im adding some suregrip fugitives to hopefully have a bit more grip than i do!!...but it's all personal preference, I suggest trying each other wheels if your unsure as to what you feel best skating on.

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p

Postby Goldie Lookin Pain » 22 Aug 2010, 15:09

Not really a review but ive found these on ebay whilst having a browse and only a 99p start for anyone looking for skates! Riedell R3's only used 6 times. Would have to get wheels though! :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Riedell-R3-Quad-Roller-Skates-Boots-Derby-UK-6-/400146451518?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Skateboarding_Skating

Rhiannon
Youngling
Youngling

Postby Rhiannon » 12 Sep 2010, 17:32

Hi, hopefully I'll be able to make it to a beginners Sunday in a couple of weeks, is it better to borrow skates there or buy some cheap and cheerful ones eg http://www.johnlewis.com/122926/Style.aspx

Wonton Destruction
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 8
Team: Alpha Beta Slammers

Postby Wonton Destruction » 12 Sep 2010, 23:46

Hi Rhiannon! We only have a few skates to hire out at the moment. There are a number of girls on Rio Rollers at training and they don't seem to have any trouble with them ^_^

Wonton Destruction
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 8
Team: Alpha Beta Slammers

Postby Wonton Destruction » 15 Sep 2010, 17:10

There's a good deal on here: http://kickflipboards.com/roller-derby-riedell-and-anarchy-starter-pack.html

R3s, protective gear, helmet and mouthguard for 169.95 x

Skatey Bo Baity
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 42

Postby Skatey Bo Baity » 03 Apr 2011, 17:23

Just wanted to bump this and encourage you all to review your skates because I'm So confused which to choose!

Pain by Numbers
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 123

Postby Pain by Numbers » 03 Apr 2011, 18:03

I borrowed some Riedell R3s for an hour session and found that even though I had the correct size they really squashed the fronts of my feet.

I've since bought some Suregrip Rebels and found that they're a much better fit.

I have wide, fat feet :)

So that's my general input,

If you have narrow feet perhaps go for Riedells and wider feet go for Suregrips.

Best to try other girls skates on before buying though.

Nora Virus
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 404

Postby Nora Virus » 03 Apr 2011, 18:06

Seconding Pain's review - I have short wide Hobbit feet (ok, maybe not *that* hairy) and Suregrip Rebels are great for me. The fact that they're leather means they give a bit too.

Bought from the lovely John at Everglides : http://www.everglides.co.uk/zc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=64&products_id=1225

With the 'no VAT for kids' sizes' AND 10% discount for roller derby teams it means you can get them for GBP135.

NV x

Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 183
Team: Team Zebra and Vice Quad

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 03 Apr 2011, 18:34

In December I bought some Sure-Grip XL-75 skates with the XK-4, drop-forged aluminium plates with 10-degree double action trucks with a twisted jump bar. They came with 4 88A and 4 92A Fugitive wheels.

I don't have a lot to compare them to, my last set of skates were some Roces big, plastic welly skates, but they seem fine. It took a while to get used to them, but they're starting to treat me better. They're quite wide anyway, but the laces go all the way to the toe so they are able to fit wider feet. I might need to get harder wheels and faster bearings to try and pass my speed test though!

They cost around $250 from SinCitySkates.com with $75 delivery and about £35 in VAT when they reach this side of the pond. I think it came out at around £250 with some black toeguards too.

Return to “Skates & Gear”