BRD Public Forum
Where to buy / What to buy / Wheels / Protective gear
Pain by Numbers
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 123
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Pain by Numbers » 04 Feb 2011, 17:57

I've decided it's time to move on from the Blazer Odyssey skates (hahahaha) I got when I first started.

I've found these Riedell 125s on sale at Skate Attack marked down to £100!

http://www.skateattack.co.uk/riedell-quad-roller-skates-p-1997.html

They're as much as £235 on other websites.

I was wondering if someone who knows what they're talking about and knows what they're looking at to confirm that they're a good buy.

Also are they suitable for someone who's still somewhat of a beginner?

Lastly, is your skate size the same as your shoe size?

Thanks

xx

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p
Team: Smash Vandals

Postby Goldie Lookin Pain » 04 Feb 2011, 18:23

hey pain i think they look a good deal! They are cheaper than the R3s too! Personally i think these would be fine for you. The 125 boot is the same as on the she devil, i think the only difference is the wheels and the she devil as the alu plate.

I have the same size skates as shoes, i got mine from skate attack as well. the girl who runs it is a derby girl so you can always give them a ring if your not too sure! They are really nice!

Id go for it before they sell out! :) xx

Lil
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 22
Team: Zebra

Postby Lil » 04 Feb 2011, 19:07

You might like to try the skates, if anyone has the same boot (or at a stretch, any Riedell) in your size and one size down. When I got my Vandals I tried Delta's in an 8 (my normal shoe size) and they felt quite roomy so I sized down. If the boot is leather it will stretch / mould to your foot. I'm still breaking mine in and the big toe on my right foot keeps getting squished and bruised when I wear them but I think it was the right decision for me to go down a size. I am hoping eventually they will fit like a glove!

Pain by Numbers
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Pain by Numbers » 04 Feb 2011, 19:45

Thanks guys, you're super helpful.

The ones I'm looking at getting don't seem to have toe stops on them, what sort/shape/size stops should I buy?

Goldie Lookin Pain
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 99p

Postby Goldie Lookin Pain » 04 Feb 2011, 23:23

These should be fine....

http://www.skateattack.co.uk/round-adjustable-stops-pair-p-1822.html

But maybe just ring them and ask to double check what the bolt hole is!

If you have the cash then in might be worth investing in a pair of these...

http://www.skateattack.co.uk/riedell-caps-pair-p-1787.html

to protect your lovely new skates, most of us have got them or similar, the full cover ones are better than the strip ones as dont move around! I have the riedell vandals which is a 265 style boot in size 5, i think they're usually a bit wider than the 125 but your welcome to try them for an idea if your a 5 or 6.... xx

Mortabella Bam
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 667

Postby Mortabella Bam » 04 Feb 2011, 23:41

Pain, I have the Vandals, 265s, am normally a shoe size 5 but got a 4 for my skates. I think I got them from Skateattack and whilst on the phone the girl measured the boot for me and the 4 was the same as my actual foot. A few months on I'm so glad I got a 4 and not a 5, as they have really stretched in and now I have even put in some new insoles to stop them feeling roomy.

Def try on others' skates first...

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Postby the Blizzard » 05 Feb 2011, 10:42

Agree bit Bam, don't get too big skates. My first skates I had to get rid of because at the end I had to use 2 insoles with both normal and woolly socks. They did feel fine when I bought them. So be aware. My shoe size is 5 and I got 4 1/2 skates (Riedell She Devil), now thinking could've got size 4!

Hellbound Kitty
Youngling
Youngling
Skater Number: 696
Team: Project Mayhem

Postby Hellbound Kitty » 05 Feb 2011, 14:17

Hey Pain,

What size are you looking for? I have a pair of Riedell R3s for sale if you are interested? They are a size 5 and I can bring them to practice tomorrow if you would like to try them?

x x

Pain by Numbers
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Pain by Numbers » 05 Feb 2011, 14:55

Thanks for all the advice!

With shoes I'm usually a 5 for things like sandals, pumps and heels and a 6 for boots and sneakers- so I'm guessing size 5 skate should be fine for me.

Kitty I'd love to try your skates. Which session will you be coming for on Sunday? I'll be there for min skills. Tomorrow I'll wear black and red socks and a black monster munch t-shirt and my skates are black and pink.. Come find me! :)

Edi xx

Hellbound Kitty
Youngling
Youngling
Skater Number: 696
Team: Project Mayhem

Postby Hellbound Kitty » 05 Feb 2011, 15:16

I'll be coming to minimum skills as well, I think I know who you are! :)

x x

Power Tough Girl
Youngling
Youngling
Skater Number: 79

Postby Power Tough Girl » 08 Feb 2011, 11:14

Hope I am not being stupid, but can anyone tell me if Sure Grip toes stops fit Riedell skates? I have just ordered the 125S and was looking for some coloured toe stops, but they all refer to them as Sure Grip toe stops... I am confused!

Jam Tart
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 4149

Postby Jam Tart » 08 Feb 2011, 11:35

I got carrera toe stops (round ones) with my sure grip skates and switched them onto my riedells so I would answer 'yes' they can :)

Power Tough Girl
Youngling
Youngling
Skater Number: 79

Postby Power Tough Girl » 08 Feb 2011, 11:36

Awesome! Thank you JT :)

Pain by Numbers
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Pain by Numbers » 17 Feb 2011, 19:21

I went to Skate Attack today and got some new skates! My parents were driving to London today for something important so I bummed a lift and went to skate attack to try skates on. The shop is amazing and the staff there are SO SO friendly, helpful and knowledgeable AND I got a 10% discount for mentioning that I'm part of a derby team.

I tried someone's Riedells last week and although the size was right they were just too narrow and squashed my feet. So I got some SureGrips because I've heard they're wider.

I got some Sure-grip Rebels with Fugitive wheels (which have little roller girls on them!!). I'm in love with them and I haven't even skated in them yet!

These ones: http://www.skateattack.co.uk/suregrip-rebel-roller-skates-p-1103.html

I just wanted to share my excitement (eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!) and say THANK YOU to everyone for their help and advice.

Myra Spindley
Youngling
Youngling
Skater Number: 587
Team: Fresh Meat

Postby Myra Spindley » 27 Mar 2011, 13:06

SOS!

Ive just had my first practice on my new skates. I got some Suregrip rock flames and compared to my old ones they feel way too fast and scary and its knocking my confidence on them a bit. Can anyone recommend anything i can do to help myself?

x

Return to “Skates & Gear”