Where to buy / What to buy / Wheels / Protective gear
FlorenceLightningale
Youngling
Youngling
Skater Number: 89
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby FlorenceLightningale » 01 Mar 2011, 22:37

Hey girls and boys

Was wondering if anyone has any advice on this or has had a similar problem.. I get really bad eczema (dry, itchy, flakey skin) on my arms, particularly the inner elbows and its always aggravated from the protective gear after each practice, being as they get hot and sweaty and all. Do you think it would be a bad idea to cut out the material where it touches my inner elbows? Or maybe theres something I could put under the pads? Bit random I know, any suggestions appreciated... thankies

Flo xx

Mortabella Bam
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 667

Postby Mortabella Bam » 01 Mar 2011, 22:43

It's not random! I think a few of us are suffering too. I get it on the back of my hands. You could wear a liner/tube sock underneath? Washing your pads regularly may help, using gentle powder.

Primark have some thin, long sleave tops. You do get hot but I find it stops the material of the pads making me sweat against its nasty fabric.

Re cutting out a hole, I guess it'd still be ok. Depends on the pads? You can get pads that have straps and therefore no material against the inner elbows and backs of knees. x

da silva surfer
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 48
Team: Cheering Squad

Postby da silva surfer » 01 Mar 2011, 22:49

Hey Flo,

I read somewhere that some girls cut tube socks and put them on their arms under the elbow pads. They do it to avoid pad stench as you can wash the socks more often and in your case cotton would be nicer to your skin maybe?

x

Edit: Oops kinda what Bam said :)

Wonton Destruction
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 8
Team: Alpha Beta Slammers

Postby Wonton Destruction » 01 Mar 2011, 22:50

Hey Flo,

I had a friend who was badly affected all over her body especially from the pads!

Make sure you wash them regularly with vinegar or baking soda before washing them normally just to get any nasties out.

Another thing would be to get some cotton "sleeves". My friend used cotton socks, cut the feet out and wore those under her elbow pads.

I seasonally get some irritation on my hands from my wristguards. It usually happens when I know I'm a little dehydrated. Generally, I try to drink a lot of water and don't use moisturiser on the affected area. Your elbows will sweat a lot and it's important to let that sweat out and a barrier cream will prevent that. I'm sure you do this already but wash properly after training with antibacterial soap. I have to concentrate on elbows and knees otherwise they still stink with sweat even after a shower!

Hope this is helpful xx

Wonton Destruction
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Wonton Destruction » 01 Mar 2011, 23:06

Another thing about showering... Although it's good to take a hot shower after training so your muscles don't contract too fast, skin complaints don't really like the heat. At the end of a shower, I blast my face and anywhere I have problem skin with the coldest water. It's instantly soothing and stimulates cell turnover.

Mortabella Bam
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mortabella Bam » 01 Mar 2011, 23:17

I'm renaming you Wonton Wisdom - you actually know everything, I'm convinced! It's like google asking you a question, only more instant and answers are personalised :) xxxx

E-Z Roller
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 24k
Team: Daughters of Anarchy and A-team

Postby E-Z Roller » 01 Mar 2011, 23:26

My pads don't have a bit of material in the crease of the elbows. They are protec ones x

Wonton Destruction
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Wonton Destruction » 02 Mar 2011, 00:42

Ha... thanks, Bam. I definitely don't know everything! But I've had problem skin my whole life so can relate to this.

Luckily I've been able to kick eczema with age. I would hate to have it now as I did when I was younger. It affected practically all my creases; knees, elbows, wrists, fingers, armpits, neck, and under my bra straps. Pine tar baths were THE WORST.

Power Kraut
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 11
Team: ADHD, Harbour Harlots B

Postby Power Kraut » 02 Mar 2011, 08:37

Yeah, I have this problem too. I sometimes wear my elbow pads with just the straps and don't use the tubular bit, but that is probably not advisable because then they aren't very firmly attached. Washing them regularly does help - all those sweat bacteria festering is not good for your skin.

I got the scabs kneepads recently which have a gap at the back and that is a little more comfortable, but haven't bought the matching elbow pads yet because they are very expensive.

I may try wearing long sleeves or at least cotton tubes on my elbows, thanks for the tip guys!

Power Kraut
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 11
Team: ADHD, Harbour Harlots B

Postby Power Kraut » 02 Mar 2011, 08:38

Another thing about showers, I've always been told not to shower too hot and definitely not to use soap, as these things will remove oil from the skin which you don't want.

Devine Retribution
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 235
Team: Project Mayhem

Postby Devine Retribution » 02 Mar 2011, 08:51

i have this problem too so your not alone, constant moisturizing! i never have hot showers and have been wondering about the sock thing, let us know if it works!

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Postby the Blizzard » 02 Mar 2011, 08:55

A bit off topic - my sister has very dry skin and has to coat herself with baby oil after a shower. I've started doing this now and it feels so lovely, with none of that dry tightness of skin after a shower. The oil applies really easily on slightly moist skin and doesn't make it sticky at all.

My skin used to get really dry, crack and bleed, but the British moist climate has erased the problem! :-)

Cherry Sour
Youngling
Youngling
Skater Number: 31

Postby Cherry Sour » 02 Mar 2011, 09:12

Flo, my wrist guards came with some Anarchy elbow pads that have straps rather than a sleeve – I could try to dig them out and bring them along tonight if you'd like to give them a go?

Devine Retribution
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 235
Team: Project Mayhem

Postby Devine Retribution » 02 Mar 2011, 10:04

oooh be careful with baby oil, i tried it and weirdly it gave me a rash!! i must be more sensitive than a baby he he! aveeno cream is the dogs

Mortabella Bam
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mortabella Bam » 02 Mar 2011, 11:14

Aside from acne until my early 20s, I never had skin issues until this year! I now have constant dermatitis on the back of my hands. Thanks guys, I'm going to try mositurising as I never do except for my face - I am so lazy and impatient!

Return to “Skates & Gear”