Mr Incredibrawl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 183
Team: Team Zebra and Vice Quad

FAO NSOs: Verbal Cues

Postby Mr Incredibrawl » 16 Apr 2012, 08:55

Hi everybody!

A fairly quick thing that was pointed out to me by Chaz Tizer of TBB which may be of assistance to anyone NSOing, it seems that I haven't been keeping up with reffing practices and have been calling things wrong, primarily around Out Of Play, Illegal Procedure and Direction Of Gameplay violations where multiple penalties appear under the same heading. If you want to take a look at the Verbal Cues pdf from WFTDA: http://wftda.com/officiating it seems that the penalties where multiple things apply should be called as that action rather than the overall heading of that penalty.

For example, skating in the opposite direction and executing a block is a clockwise block, under the heading of 'Direction Of Gameplay' which is how I've been calling it. However, this should be called as "Clockwise Block" accompanied by the Direction Of Gameplay hand signal ('stroking the cat'). Likewise, false starting is an Illegal Procedure that should be called as "False Start" with the Illegal Procedure hand signal (disco/spinning arms), not just "Illegal Procedure".

So, NSOs: I point this out as it seems that this is getting called more and more and I just wanted to bring it to your attention so that when you're penalty tracking/wrangling/outside whiteboarding(?) and something gets called that you're not familiar with, to look out for the hand signal to let you know what you should be marking it down as. Get learning those hand signals!

Natty Dread
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 1/8
Team: Refs

Re: FAO NSOs: Verbal Cues

Postby Natty Dread » 18 Apr 2012, 16:33

This is a good idea and anyway, everyone should be revising the rules regular like ;) x

Tequila Jammer
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 55abv
Team: Smash Vandals

Postby Tequila Jammer » 18 Apr 2012, 18:20

We should do some sort of situational practicing where we commit all penalties and then the refs and nsos have to give the right signals

chaos theory
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 29

Postby chaos theory » 18 Apr 2012, 21:22

Tequila, that's a great idea! I love it :-)

Acid Drop
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Team: Team Zebra!

FAO NSOs: Verbal Cues

Postby Acid Drop » 18 Apr 2012, 22:33

Great idea! We did this drill at sk8 heaven with Bonnie and Urrkin acting out the penalties :D

Sid xx

Return to “Roll Up!”