Skates, boot vs shoe

Everything you need to know about skates and their components.
Forum rules
BRD Public Forum
Everything you need to know about skates and their components.
HTM Hell
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: 500

Skates, boot vs shoe

Postby HTM Hell » 18 Feb 2013, 15:33

As someone who's new to derby I've yet to invest in my own skates. So far I've just been learning in from pretty sturdy vinyl hockey boots. These are great for learning, but start to be a real hindrance when trying to do cross-overs, transitions etc. So I've been looking at whats around.

The issue at the back of my mind is ankle protection. As I live with someone who's had over 2 years of problems from a single ankle break I know all to well how susceptible the ankle is to injury. So in an ideal what I want is a skate that gives ankle support but won't impede my skating. Does this exist?

Cheers

JP

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 301 (was g33k)
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Re: Skates, boot vs shoe

Postby Chick Dastardly » 18 Feb 2013, 15:35

antiks. Quite a few people skate in them (including Kev) you could have a look at drop in or merby sometime? They also sell them at Get Inline in Broadmead galleries i think

Acid Drop
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Team: Team Zebra!

Postby Acid Drop » 18 Feb 2013, 15:49

I second Antiks.

I bought some after I broke my ankle and they do give some extra support, although that said I don't lace them all the way up (I miss out the top hole) as I found that I lost flexibility.

Having said this, whilst the Antiks give extra ankle support, they will not prevent a fracture from happening, as in the main the fractures through skating occur through a strong twisting force. I think it is absolutely vital to build up ankle strength through balancing exercises (I learnt some great ones this weekend!). I still tape my left ankle up (I probably don't need to, but it does give extra support)

Antik AR-1 boots (the ones I have) are exceptionally well made, have counters on both sides (to help prevent foot roll) and lace in such a way to lock down the heel. I love them and wouldn't have a different boot, but I am under no illusion that they will prevent an ankle break.

You are welcome to try mine on... I have size 8.5 feet...

Sid x

tessrobs
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Skater Number: T355
Team: Harbour Harlots A & SV

Postby tessrobs » 18 Feb 2013, 15:52

With Bont skates, you can ask to have them custom made with a higher ankle (for their flat custom rate of an additional $30). Alternatively, it seems that the riedell 495 has the highest ankle of riedell derby boots. Alternatively again, you could look at getting some regular, low ankle skates and investing in ankle support such as: http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/38022221 ... pla&crdt=0 Which can been seen being worn by some London Rollergirls.

Chick Dastardly
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 301 (was g33k)
Team: Daughters of Anarchy

Postby Chick Dastardly » 18 Feb 2013, 15:53

I tried Antiks and found them far too uncomfortable, and had been totally in love with them before I tried them!

Also I second what Acid says about what *actually* can help prevent injury (no magic boots for that!)

Thundercat Ho!
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: s30
Team: DOA, Harbour Harlot Bees, Vice Quad

Postby Thundercat Ho! » 18 Feb 2013, 18:11

They're right, some people do hurt themselves, but a very rare few do like I did, or noone would play Derby as they would all be be broken or scared!
You're a much more fitter, competent and confident skater than I ever was, which will put you at less risk than having a lower ankled boot.

Antiks look awesome though :mrgreen:

MatLOVIN
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 1337
Team: Vice Quad / ADHD

Postby MatLOVIN » 18 Feb 2013, 18:22

Worth adding that it's important to get a well fitting skate, as having your foot moving inside the boot can be responsible for breakages (how I think mine occurred). I now have a heat moulded boot that hugs my feet :)

HTM Hell
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby HTM Hell » 18 Feb 2013, 20:21

Thanks for the suggestions :) I had looked at the ankle supports before and they do seem like a good compromise. I have to say that the antiks do all look amazing! A trip down to broadmeads I reckons. Matt where did you get the foot mould done?

MatLOVIN
Padawan
Padawan
Skater Number: 1337
Team: Vice Quad / ADHD

Postby MatLOVIN » 18 Feb 2013, 21:38

jpgorman wrote:Thanks for the suggestions :) I had looked at the ankle supports before and they do seem like a good compromise. I have to say that the antiks do all look amazing! A trip down to broadmeads I reckons. Matt where did you get the foot mould done?

Bonts are heat mouldable (can get them most derby shops), they are quite expensive though (comparable to antiks). Also I have some ankle supports if you'd like to try out wearing them, but as Sid said, ankle strengthening exercises probably better.

Wolverine Bruise
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Skater Number: 93
Team: Vice Quad & Team Zebra

Postby Wolverine Bruise » 18 Feb 2013, 22:15

Acid Drop wrote:I think it is absolutely vital to build up ankle strength through balancing exercises (I learnt some great ones this weekend!).

Any chance of sharing some of these? My left is definitely weaker than my right and could do with some improvement, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

HTM Hell
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby HTM Hell » 19 Feb 2013, 12:01

Good point, are these currently demonstrated to players during training etc?

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Postby the Blizzard » 19 Feb 2013, 12:31

MatLovin wrote:Bonts are heat mouldable (can get them most derby shops), they are quite expensive though (comparable to antiks).

Nooo... One reason I went for Bonts was that they were so much cheaper even with customisation.
some prices
Antiks £280-480
Riedell £190-350
Bont £175-205

About the ankle option for Bonts, Tilly had a high-ankle Bont but did not get on with them, no movement at all in ankle which restricted stops/laterals/etc I tried them on and was worried about breaking my ankle because they were so stiff and ended just above the ankle bone.

the Blizzard
Forum Ninja
Forum Ninja
Skater Number: 54
Team: Women's A, Smash Vandals

Postby the Blizzard » 19 Feb 2013, 12:35

jpgorman wrote:Good point, are these currently demonstrated to players during training etc?

Ankle lifts (do at warm up)/calf raises - I was recommended these after my ankle injury.
Also balancing exercises, standing on one foot.

Found these too
NHS leaflet - ankle exercises
Exercises for ankle sprains

HTM Hell
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby HTM Hell » 19 Feb 2013, 12:37

Thanks Blizz :)

Return to “Skates & Plates”